This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae spot on gravel (glass side only)

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Petex, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Petex

Petex Subscriber

Local Time:
    1:37 PM
    hi,
    times ago I asked here with this GDA problem:
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8152-Are-Green-Dust-Algaes-same-like-Volvox
    http://www.barrreport.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2064&d=1295567037
    The tanks maked good progresses in the meantime and no visible algaes were coming back. (all plants look "clean")

But, today I inspected the backside from the tank and I see a few algae spots in the gravel. Unfortunatly the backside (gravel-glass part) becomes much light .
    So should I tape this backside parts off the tank, so that this gravel parts didn´t get anymore light?
    Is the tape a good or worst idea?
    Or are those algaes "unimportand" and don´t need any threathment?

thx.peter

#1 Petex, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Blue Algae probably. cover it with some non transparent tape for some weeks. That should help, at least for a while.

regards,
    dutchy

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You might try reducing the light, it appears like there isa vert high light source, so you might increase the distance above the aquarium.
    This should make things easier for management.

4. Petex

Petex Subscriber

Local Time:
    Hi Tom
    The tank sits in a rack together with another (bigger) Nano tank and unfortunatly both tanks use the same (one single) T4 bulb. The bulb is attached at the wall and I can not change the distance or simply reduce any light, because in such a case my larger tank would also get less light. Those spots still appear on the backside (I think the front looks ok, or? My first attached photo shows the front gravel too dark and I attached a new photo)

Yes, I also guess it is Blue Algae. Long time ago one of my larger tanks also had few spots in nearly the same gravel areas but I never touched it and after a few weeks the spots were simply "gone" without doing anything. Well, but I also think larger tanks and small tanks are different things.
    So I will tape it for a while if doing so may help to kill it faster?

thx.peter

front33.jpg

#4 Petex, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  5. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, BGA needs light to grow. No light = no BGA.

regards,
    dutchy.