Algae questions

edacsac

Prolific Poster
Jan 2, 2007
I've been through two blackouts, and the bga does die, but its back within a week to nasty levels. I've lost many plants (not so big a deal) due to the blackouts and I'm left with riccia, some straggling hm, various moses and something called giant dwarf sag?.

So now I ponder the plants I do have and if they are enough. The attached image represents the current layout of my 10gal tank and the stupid design I made. The sag and hm is thin, the riccia is and floating moss thing is more dense, and the moss wall thingy isn'tthick enough to even count.

Hopefully my problem is not enough plants. Good news is that there is no other algae to be found!

tank.jpg

edacsac

Prolific Poster
Jan 2, 2007
Just thought I would update. I went through a week of doubling my KN03 dosing and the BGA has slowed to hardly any growth. My only concern is that if I tested nitrates right before I did a water change, and it showed in the 80ppm range. Is that a little high, or does that fit in with EI fundamentals?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Too much NO3, you never need more than 30ppm.
That is a good rule of thumb.

I'd do 2-3x a week 50%+ water changes, dose after.

Crank the CO2.

Fluff any detritus, floc etc off, clean things well, add carbon or purigen for a little while.

Add ferts.

Etc.

The goal is less to kill algae and more to grow plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr