This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae Question with EI

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Adam Chick, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Adam Chick

Adam Chick New Member

Local Time:
    9:27 AM
    I've been using EI for several months now and have noticed improvement in certain types of algae, but worsening with one particular type. I have a 60 gal aquarium that is 24" high. I use CO2 and have a drop checker that is green while the lights are on. The CO2 comes on about 2 hours before the light and stops a little before the lights turn off. I have 2 lights on the aquarium (Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 and a Finnex Monster Ray color enhancer) that run for about 8 hours per day on a timer. There is a refugium as well that has a plant light on it that runs for 12 hours/day on a timer. I purchased the EI Fertilizer package from greenleafaquariums.com and use it as directed. However, I stopped adding the KH2PO4 because my phosphate levels were very high. I add the ferts every other day and make a 40-50% water change once a week. I clean the algae off of the plants and substrate the best I can, but by the 3rd day after the water change it is back and looks like the pictures below before the next water change (by the 6th day). I have a couple questions I'm hoping you guys can answer:

1. What type of algae is this?
    2. Am I providing the the correct amount of lighting?
    3. Given my setup and the info provided are there any changes you can recommend that will help control this?

Thanks for your help and advice!

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    3:27 PM
    Hi Adam - the type of algae does not matter. For now, increase water changes to 60-80% once a week. Do two back-to-back water changes. Then go back to adding phosphate along with the other stuff. No clue how much plant biomass you have, but it needs to be high. Also, no clue how much your pH drop is, but that needs to be about 1.0 or so. Full tank shot will help.

3. Adam Chick

Adam Chick New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'll include a full tank shot and one of the refugium as well. The pH in the tank before the lights come on is around 6.8 and drops to 6.0 throughout the day while the CO2 is on. Thanks again!

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

4. Adam Chick

Adam Chick New Member

Local Time:
    I'm hoping to not just try and fix the problem, but also gain an understanding of why it is happening? Does anyone have an opinion as to why this type of algae is growing with my current setup? Is there too much light? The PAR readings I've seen for the planted plus 24/7 on max seem to be reasonable for a tank as tall as mine. I'm planning on setting up a heavily planted 180-240 gal tank in the near future and am trying to get a better grasp on the underlying causes of algae in my tanks before starting the new one.

Tags: