This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae Problems

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by numbr_9, Nov 8, 2005.

1. numbr_9

numbr_9 Junior Poster

I recently broke down my tank completely and re-set it up out of frustration with algae. Tank specs as follows:

29 gallon
    2 x 55 w cf lighting
    pressurized CO2
    eco-complete substrate
    KH - 4
    pH - 6.6
    water changes: 50% 1x weekly, mostly R/O with tap to bring KH to 4
    Dosing: appx 1/8 tsp KNO3 3x weekly,
    appx 2 rice grains KH2PO4 3x weekly,
    CSM Plantex for micros (approx 5 ml of diluted solution)

Due to work I had to neglect the tank back in the summer, but since I have not been able to get control of the algae problems. Livestock consists of a handful of amano shrimp, several dwarf cichlids, and about 10 assorted catfish. I feed a pinch of flake food or frozen brine shrimp once a day.

The algae is a soft, cottony green algae that easily comes off surfaces with scraping. Problem is it covers every surface in the tank, so removing it seems to be impossible. The water surface has a film on it. The water has a slight odor; moldy/musky similar to BGA. Following are two pics of the algae:

algae 1

algae 2

Help! What do I do? I did the re-setting up of the tank almost 2.5 weeks ago. I have noticed new growth on some of the plants, including the blyxa, glosso, and nana petite. However the algae seems to be choking out all the growth before it can really get going.

Thank you for your help,
    Reggie

2. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Algae Problems

Well, at least your aquarium is green, and some of the plants are doing well.

I'd say that you had BGA plus other kinds of algae. To get rid of it, long term, you should get a lot of fast growing plants - your tank is sparsley planted, as far as I can see. :)

You also might check you GH. Plants need calcium and magnesium, and when you use RO water there is a risk that you won't have enough.

Good luck.

Bill