This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

    https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae problems in low light non co2 tank

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Piotr, May 22, 2013.

  1. Piotr

    Piotr Prolific Poster

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2013
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    My low light tank had been running for about six weeks now and i'm sad to see that some algae has apeared, lets see if we can work towards a solution...first ill supply you all with general info about the tank.

    Tank size: 11 gallon (10.5gallon/40liter netto)

    light: 11 watt pl lamp

    Filter: Eheim 2213 / Outlet = original eheim, inlet = aquaticmagic lily pipe.

    Substrate: Sand

    Flora: Bolbitis heudelotii and microsorum pteropus narrow atached to spiderwood, Sagittaria subulata, Rotala sp green.
    + some Camomba and Heteranthera zosterifolia in a pot to help cycle the tank.


    Fauna: 9x Boraras brigittae, 2x Boraras maculatas, 6x Caridina Multidentata


    Nutriënts/care

    Water change: Once a month 25%. Top offs with regular tap water when needed.

    Micro's: Profito, once a week

    Macro's: Was told that i did not need to add macro's but for the first 5 weeks or so i only had 2 fish so added some in case.

    Added around 8 ppm NO3 and 0.5ppm PO4 last week, did the same this week because the nitrate tested below 5ppm. I have no way to test PO4 but am saving up for a Hanna photometer.


    Also added some easy carbo for the last 10 days, this was to combat some BBA, im happy to say this worked as after 9 days i was able to scrape of the now slimy BBA easily.

    I do have a little surface scum, lily pipe is raised for a little ripple but that does not remove it entirely.

    As soon as i spotted the algae (3 days ago) on the leaves i covered up the reflector of my lamp with black, should probably have done this from the start, the light is now noticeably less

    The story is getting way to long but i hope atleast its clear..if you have any questions please ask them, i will post pics of the tank and algae
    today.


    The first 3 pictures are from 4 weeks ago and some things have changed in the tank.

    View attachment 4456 View attachment 4458 View attachment 4457
     
    #1 Piotr, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  2. Piotr

    Piotr Prolific Poster

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2013
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    Fts
    [attachment=1530:name]
    Rotala sp. Green changing from emersed to submersed, doing fine i think.
    [attachment=1528:name]
    Sagittaria subulata doing ok.
    [attachment=1529:name]
    GDA be damned
    [attachment=1527:name]
    Finaly the algae the whole post is about, i have almost zero experience with algae (not complaining) so i have no idea what kind it is and what to do with/against it. I just try to keep the plants growing and this time since i did not want to use CO2 i tried to keep the nutrient demands low by using low light.
    [attachment=1526:name]


    What am i missing or doing wrong here? Any advice is more than welcome.

    DSC_1086.jpg

    DSC_1085.jpg

    DSC_1089.jpg

    DSC_1090.jpg

    DSC_1082.jpg
     
  3. Matt F.

    Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2009
    Messages:
    2,319
    Likes Received:
    4
    Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    To get you started on the types and some of the causes, you can do some research here:

    http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

    http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

    btw, nice tank. We're currently trying to figure out GDA's cause. I don't think anyone is 100% as to what causes it. So far limiting your photoperiod to 4-5 hours per day works. Reducing the intensity of the light works, too. Also, in your case, doing weekly water changes with an emphasis on wiping down the walls might help keep the GDA in check. You could also cut the ferts out to see if that makes a difference for a while.
     
    #3 Matt F., May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  4. Piotr

    Piotr Prolific Poster

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2013
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    I'll read those sites/articles today, thank you.
    Yes i read about the GDA and the 6 hour photoperiod thats seemed to reduce it. 6 hours is just way to short for me to enjoy the tank but its still very usefull information and research.

    I've recently covered my reflector so i hope that that will help a bit. Should have done this from the start but focused on other things in and around the tank and forgot about it..

    I thought about the waterchanges and have no problem with doing more of them but after reading about the co2 fluctuations this brings with it i became a bit worried about them.
     
  5. Piotr

    Piotr Prolific Poster

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2013
    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    This is what im talking about:

    (Quote from Tom Barr)

    Changing CO2 around day to day, hour to hour, week to week the plant struggles and spends more energy adapting to CO2, than with growth, acquiring nutrients, catching light etc. In non CO2 systems, changing water frequently causes a spike in high CO2 week to week etc, done only once every few months is better.
     
Loading...

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice