algae problem

ibanezfrelon

Guru Class Expert
May 18, 2010
croatia
It's only been a week.
Are you dosing ferts as Dutchy suggested?
Do you have 4dKH solution in your DC?
Where is your DC placed? It should not be on the side of the tank where reactor is etc..
Have you removed algae manualy as much as you can?

Aug 18, 2010
Yeah, but i'm dosing 30ppm No3, 3ppm KH2PO4, 36ppm K2SO4.
I'm running 4 t5 tubes right now, 8 hours a day.
I have a 5dKH solution un my DC in order to mantain Co2 at 36-40ppm. Works fine and my fish doesn't seem affected.
The DC is placed near the surface, away from the reactor outflow. Stays Green.
Daily i remove as much algae as i can.
I checked my Po4 levels the day before yesterday and was near 5ppm; so i stoped dosing KH2PO4. Checked the levels today and was arround 3 ppm, the algae is growing slower. Do you thinks guys this has to be with the PO4?
Regards!!

ibanezfrelon

Guru Class Expert
May 18, 2010
croatia
No , it's not PO4 thing , PO4 is not the cause for algae.
The problem is stunted growth , probably due to the low co2 level.
4 t5's is still a challenge , you need really good co2 to follow that light.
I suggest you do a 4dKH solution in your DC , place the DC near the bottom and try to get a lime green yellowish collor , try yellow if your fish don't mind..
Ripple the surface a bit so the fish recive more O2.

I wouldn't waste time on testing , it will only confuse you if the test kit is not really good.
Just patience , up that co2 LITTLE BY LITTLE , maybe reduce the light to 2 t5's (i think Dutchy suggested this) , clean the tank good , fertilize regularly (don't stop dosing PO4 in panic , take it easy)

Aug 18, 2010
Ok, now, you suggest the 4dkh solution: having yellow color in the 4dKH solution is the same thing of having a green color in the 5dKH solution. 4 t5 54w gives me 0.8watt/l. Don't you think that less watts is poor light having into account my setup?.
Regards
Thanks again for helping!

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Hello

High light will be 0.5W/L in most cases and your CO2 probably is even near 30 ppm, with CO2 at 40 ppm the fish probably will be at the top of the tank trying to get some oxygen, or not.

Has Ibanezfrelon and Dutchy said you mus turn that light down and continue fertilizing even with PO4.
NO3 and PO4 do not cause algae and as Tom is always saying do not believe you have enough CO2 since his very hard to test it.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Please note that you may not see algae decrease overnight after removing a bulb.

I would simply use 2 bulbs (MAX!) and spread them out if possible so no dark areas in the tank.

I would personally use just 2 bulbs for 8 hours for a month and see how that goes.

Algae must also be removed manually, so don't be afraid to trim affected plants and manually clean what you can.

How do you know you are providing 35 ppm of c02?

A drop checker is a simple tool and not very accurate. Try using two and move them around a bit to different locations and see how that is.

C02 is very hazardous to fish and critters, so if you increase it, do it SLOWLY a tiny bit at a time. Then observe:

1) Are the fish darker in color or listless?
2) Do the fish go to the surface a lot?
3) Do the critters seem stressed in any way?

If so, turn the c02 back down and agitate the surface to provide some relief.

C02 can change rapidly so don't adjust in the morning and leave for the day. It may take several days of observation before another adjustment is made.

I won't bother repeating all the other great advice you have gotten so far. But 8 bulbs on 60 gals is WAY overkill.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: