This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

algae problem: BGA bugging again and again in a relatively new tank

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Koen_v_V, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Koen_v_V

Koen_v_V Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    Hi people,

I a little stressed out over here: the BGA (cyanobacteria) keeps coming back, no matter what I do (not assuming I did everything...) In the broad scale of FW aquaria, as owner I turning just on a few knobs…

The current setup is:
    180x80x55, net 500 liters/130 US gallon. 2 x T5 49watt (Philips 830+840) for 16 hours at 100%, good aluminium reflectors. 1 eheim 2216 and 1 eheim 2218, with blue sponge and the white cotton wool. Eheim 2000 l/h (500gal/h) power head and a seperate setup with fluidized bed filter, Total gross current is 900 gal/h. CO2 diffusor and UVC 7 watt filter. 3-6mm gravel. CO2 is probe controlled at pH 6.7 with a KH of 7 degrees (maybe the double dropchecker I investigated yesterday is a better solution to keep my CO2 above 30ppm)

Dosing is:
    every day 12ml/cc easylife carbo (to be sure, when CO2 can be too low due to mismeasuring)
    3 days a week: 60ml KNO3 solution (50gr in 1000ml DW) = 18ppm/week KNO3 and 20ml KH2PO4 (10gr in 1000 DW) = 1.2ppm/week KH2PO4. In total 12 ppm/week NO3, 8 ppm/week K+, 0.8 ppm PO4.
    3 days a week: 30ml CSM+B solution (25gr in 500ml DW) = 9ppm/week CSM+B.
    After 50% water change on Sunday, I'm adding 20 gr patentkali (for 3 ppm magnesium and extra potassium) but planning to chang that to MgSO4 (Epsom salt?) which I got in stock.

In june I was finished building my new tank, started with to low biomass, no fastgrowing plants, 1 eheim 2216 which couldn't clean the water enough. But started with EI dosing due to succesfull results in a small tank. Plants were growing like mad, but also the algae. And BGA was taking over after introducing fish and feeding. I used a antibiotic which solved the problem of BGA but next my entire nitrifcation process was disturbed. I got an extra Eheim 2218 and powerhead for current and cleaning. Cleaning out filters is now done weekly. After a few weeks I’ve got green floating algae, green white mist/cloud, BBA and some other unidentified algae (other form of cyano?) were taking over. Installed a UVC 7 watt filter to get rid of the mist/cloud. After 2 weeks the water was clear again and a lot of algae were dying, introducing BGA (on plants and gravel, not the surface) again! I bought a lot, but mean a lot, real waterplants (Egeria densa) to boost O2 production (and other nice side effects) to establish a good water quality. I must say after two weeks now, BGA isn’t growing fast anymore, but isn’t retreating yet. I have decreased the intensity of light for 4 hours to 50%. Oh, and BBA is very well established in the tank also

Creating high biomass, a lot of real waterplants, good filter cleaning, dosing, good waterflow, CO2 + excel supported?

What other things can I do to win this thing besides the thing above?

Any hints/tips? (redo gravel, extreme gravel cleaning to eliminate anaerobe (rotting?) areas?