Algae Problem after injecting Co2

Jessy2363

Junior Poster
Aug 27, 2015
New Zealand
Hi, I can't seem to access the really good info on algae on this forum hence making my own thread. I am struggling with hair algae. Just started injecting Co2 and algae pops up. Why would that be? I thought Co2 was supposed to keep algae away. I am running 4 HO fluros in a 300L tank around 66cm deep. co2 is around 15mg/L as I don't want to shock my fish as I'm trying to acclimitise them slowly Do you think my Co2 levels are causing the algae? Why would I not struggle with algae before Co2 and now I am???

Jessy2363

Junior Poster
Aug 27, 2015
New Zealand
Sorry for the delayed reply. Some plants are healthy, most are as the plants i've chosen are generally considered easy to grow... however I get the odd bit of fuzz on the leaves now. yes my KH is 3. I bring it up from 2 to 3 as I worry about PH crash and my GH is 2 to which I bring up to around 3. However from today onwards I am about to lay off on dosing so much calcium as I suspect some plants aren't happy about it. particularly the anubias as I get little black hard deposits on the leaves of my anubias as this never before I started dosing calcium. Just going through lots of trial and error. The fuzzy stuff isn't always in my tank and sometimes just randomly shows up. My co2 levels are around 30ppm according to the chart and drop checker.

Yes I fertilise. No3, Po4, trace and Gh booster (I made this myself using calcium sulphate, potassium sulphate and magnesium sulphate). i am new to all this btw. Have been running Co2 for about a 1.5 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 20, 2013
US
The fuzz algae may be an indication of a deficiency of one or micronutrients. I don't know which one but a comprehensive trace element fertilizer dosed judiciously should result in the fuzz disappearing.

A picture of the plants will be very helpful.