This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae Or Mold? Emersed Driftwood Issue

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Fewater, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Fewater

Fewater New Member

Local Time:
    11:09 PM
    Hi everyone.

I have had a 29G Aqueon setup in an emersed tank with a bit of UG, Crypt, Java Fern & Java Moss going for about two weeks now. Overhead, I have two small Current Satellite Pro Plus units on a mount by Current. Around the perimeter I installed some irrigation nozzles and I built a miniature greenhouse - in my apartment - to house said setup, as well as some other house/outside plants and a bunch of water.
    My issue is that one of the driftwood centerpieces, a 24-inch piece that just barely squeezed in, seems to be covered in a speckled and spotted algae or mold. I am assuming it's likely mold, but I can't really be sure. I've tried repeatedly spritzing with a diluted H202 mixture and have twice now tried wiping the areas down with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, without any luck yet.
    When preparing the driftwood (sourced on Amazon from a wholesaler), I tried my best to soak it in boiling water a few times. I also ran my RO waste water through container. My theory is that this is the piece of wood I couldn't boil long/hot enough to kill whatever was left in there. I'm wondering if anyone can explain what this may be; how can you be sure? If not, any ideas how I can find out? Happy to answer any questions or go into detail
    I may have gone overboard in an attempt to create a good environment but, where I live, it's pretty dull in the winter. Fingers crossed, I'm hoping this little project turns into a bright pastime. I really do think the plants seem to be doing fine, and I've got more UG coming to fill in the carpet a bit quicker. Regardless, the tank needs to and should look good with the driftwood pieces, as long as they aren't harmful. Any advice is really appreciated.

Best,
    Fewater

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:09 AM
    Looks like mould to me. It's usually self-limiting, so it'll probably disappear by itself, eventually.

Fewater likes this.
  3. Fewater

Fewater New Member

Local Time:
    11:09 PM
    Thanks Tim, appreciate the response. It looks to have died down a bit, already!