algae on sand

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK
Since I have started my new tank, I have green algae on the sand as below, is this the same as the algae dizzo has posted on?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: algae on sand

Either get some cory cats, or add more plants or have plants that lean over the bare gravel areas.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

Thanks Tom, but thats not really solving it, since I added 4 large discus (sorry Ianh ;) ), I have had this algae on the sand, BBA of some plants and now also have bright green stringy algae on my vine wood.
I am dosing the same as I did on the smaller tank, just with increased amounts

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

Might the algae be doing a little too well as the ph is 7 and the kh is 4? thats 12ppm c02?

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK

Paul said:
Thanks Tom, but thats not really solving it, since I added 4 large discus (sorry Ianh ;) ), I have had this algae on the sand, BBA of some plants and now also have bright green stringy algae on my vine wood.
I am dosing the same as I did on the smaller tank, just with increased amounts
I've not published this Paul, but I managed to kill all of my discus. I put them through a barrage of medication that totally screwed up my water chemistry. Most of the plants in that tank are dripping with hair algae. A clear out is on the cards.

BTW I'm never going to keep discus again. I've kept fish for over 40 years and never really had anything resembling the problems I had with them. :(

Ian

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Stop feeding them live worms etc.
Feed live brine and dried/frozen variety.
Stop babying and coddling them. Don't dote!

They are big old cichlids after all.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

They get frozen food at the moment - but I have had them 2 weeks nearly and they still havent eaten yet anway....
I have increased the kh to 5-6 and a ph of 7 with more tapwater and less ro and will see how it goes with a little more c02

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Try live brine.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

Ok, back onto the original problem.... the fish are ok.

I have increased the amount of tapwater to incease the hardness to add more c02 and now have ph 7, kh5. The algae is over everything now, heaters, plants filter, looks like hair algae. I am vaccing it everyday now and it comes back everytime. Is it going to be easiest for me to just do a 3 day black out? I dont really want to, but cannt see any other way to get rid of it

matpat

Prolific Poster
Mar 29, 2005
Dayton, Ohio

With a KH of 5, I would suggest adding more CO2 until you get your pH around 6.7. This would give you about 30ppm of CO2. Your CO2 is only about 15ppm now and may be the cause of your algae problems.