This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae on rocks and cloudy water after cleaning sponge

Discussion in 'Professional Consulting, Design, and Maintenance' started by rs18alpha, Oct 23, 2017.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    7:09 PM
    Hello, I have 2 problems.
    I have a 40 gal tank with a Fluval 70 hob filter
    I have a 20ppi pre filter on the intake tube. I don't know if I even need yo use a prefilter??
    I also put a small piece of Pinky filter on the top of the bio bag. Again, I don't know if this is necessary?
    I have a small in the tank filter that I use with filter floss. I have to change the filter floss every week. I have this in to help with circulation.
    My light is a Twinstar 900s led
    I use CO2 injection
    My substrate is Fluval Stratum and Seachem aqua sand. The sand is in the open area of the tank.

This is a new set up that's 5 weeks old. But, I've had this issue with cloudy water for several months on my old set up.

The first problem.
    After a few weeks my water starts to get cloudy. I've been told to rinse the sponge out with tank water. When I do that I can't really get the sponge very clean. when I put the sponge back in it seems to get even more cloudy, or at least it stays the same as before I cleaned it.

If I rinse the sponge out with tap water I'm able to get it very clean. But every one says not to do that.
    I know that using tap water will kill the beneficial bacteria.
    I was wondering if after rinsing it in tap water I should soak the sponge in treated tap water before I put it back in the filter? At least that would remove the chemicals from the water.

The second problem.
    I just started to dose the E I method on the 14th of Oct. 15mil of N and P 3 days a week.
    I'm dosing the Mics at 5.5 mil 3 days a week. The reason the mic is 5.5 is because I had a mix with 40 grams that I was going to use when I was dosing the PPS PRO method.
    I went to the aquarium calculator to get the numbers right.
    The ppm for KNO3 per dose is 7.5 - KH2PO4 1.3 ppm - CSM+B for the FE is 0.2 ppm
    I'm having an algae problem. There's algae on the rocks and the drift wood. I think I have good circulation. The plants are doing pretty good as far as I can tell. They are pearling very well.
    My led is on for 8 hours a day.
    The CO2 turns on 1 1/2 hours before the lights go on and shuts off 1 hour before the lights go off.

I hope I can get this figured out one of these days. I've spent a lot of time and money on this tank.
    I don't mind doing the maintenance.
    I just want to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Thanks!!

Tags: