Algae issues

puopg

Guru Class Expert
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento
Hey all,
Right now my plants aren't doing to well. Most have been experiencing stunted growth, browning around edges, i have fuzz algae over some plants, glass, wood and on the aquasoil. Also, i see some sparks of BBA appearing. I have reduced my light back to my original lights that i never had an issue with using. I think its low-medium light. About 2 days ago I went back to those, so i hope that will help. I dose EI, Pressurized CO2 and i think CO2 is at a decent level considering my 10 gallon. It might not be but i had a few questions regarding algae and what i should do. Also, might i mention i got diatoms.

I have 3 otos and 3 amanos in my 10 gallon. I swear these amanos never like to eat the fuzz algae. I really don't understand what they are eating since i see them chillout all during the day.

1. Fuzz algae, covered a lot of my P. Erectus, UG. Really affected the growth of this plants. What is the best way to rid of them?
-Aggressive trimming on the P. Erectus?
-API Algaefix?
-blackout?
-Excel dosing, not sure if it will affect UG.

2. BBA is caused by fluctuating CO2. Can there be the case when the plants in the tank aren't doing well due to diatom covering them + fuzz algae, and in turn that affects their ability to grow? Or does controlling the BBA from getting any worse just a matter of increasing the CO2?
-Why does increased CO2 prevent BBA from Spreading?

3. I was thinking of adding 2 nerites to help with cleanup. I will probably remove them and place them elsewhere later on but will these guys help out with my current algae issue?

4. Diatoms are srsly kicking my ass. How long are these going to be here? Last time when i first setup the tank i saw them for like a month or so. I guess its been almost that much and theres really not much on the glass left, but i can tell on the leaves of Rotala that it is still there and even developing quickly on my Hydrocytle japan i just placed in today.
-How quickly can one expect diatoms to appear in the least on a leaf in this situation? a day? Week?

This is a long post so any input on any #'s above will help. No need to reply to all. Might be a good idea to mention the # as well if you reply haha. Thanks!