This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae infestation

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by vanskap, Sep 5, 2008.

1. vanskap

vanskap Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:46 PM
    Hello,

I have this hair dwarf grass and other plant that is being covered with this hairy algae, I don't have fish yet.

It's the first aquarium I got, so I have no idea about what to do :(

There is picture of my aquarium, any other info you would need?

Thanks!

Sebastián

2. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Vanskap,

You will have to provide some tank specs in order for someone to be able to help you, things like:

tank size -- gallons or liters, and dimensions would be nice
    lighting -- type and watts
    fertilizing routine
    CO2 or non-CO2
    filter type and size

I'm probably forgetting something, but you get the idea.

3. vanskap

vanskap Junior Poster

Local Time:

P.d thanks for the advise .
    tank size : 15 gallons.
    light : 2 fluorescent natural light of 15 watts each.
    fertilizing with: KNO3(potassium nitrate) one 1/8 tea spoon , 1/32 tea spoon of the following CSM+B and potassium sulfate. every day .

4. SpeedEuphoria

SpeedEuphoria Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    The pic is not very good but That looks BAD!!!

You prob have to throw those plants out, it looks like you just let it go.

You are putting way too much ferts in there!!, every day is too much!!

I have a 10g with the same bulbs(running 10hrs), it has fish in it and was running for awhile. Currently I dont have to add any ferts if i feed the tank alot. But sometimes, like every 2 weeks I will add 1/16 of KNO3 and 1/16 ofK2SO4 and less than 1/32 of KH2PO4 and CSM+B. This is a very easy tank for me and 10hrs seems good so I have stuck with it.

For you the immediate course of action is to manually remove as much algae as possible. Take the plants out and did in a diluted bleach solution. Then do a large WC and gravel vac. You may want to get Excel and try 4x the daily dose every day(since you have no fish). Also how long do you leave the lights on for? For starters you should should cut back to 6-8hrs and may want to do a 3 day blackout. Then leave it at 6-8hrs for ~2weeks, then raise it up slowly, like 1hr a week till you get to 10hrs and get your ferts figured out.

You have "Low lighting" so you dont need lots of ferts, but you have no fish so you need more then my tank also more b/c your tank is bigger.

Test for ntrates, I bet they are off the chart, you want to keep them at 10-20ppm. A 1/8 tsp=~7.5ppm of nitrate in 15G of water, so you want to dose 1/4tea spoon once to get 15ppm. Then test it after 1-2 weeks and when it gets down to 5ppm then add another 1/8tea spoon to bring it back up. After the plants start growing good again you may have to dose slightly more frequently(like 1x per week 1/8 tea spoon) to keep the levels up.

You want phosphate to be 1.0-2.0 and iron to be .1-.5ppm, potassium to be 20ppm

5. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sebastian,

Seems like there is no way for your plants to get much carbon -- no CO2 and no carbon-type fertilizer. That being the case, you seem to be putting in way too much fertilizer and your lighting may be a little high (smaller tanks waste some light, so your lighting may not be too bad). With little carbon, plants use very little nutrients -- if the plants don't use the nutrients, algae is next in line.

Read thru this thread for some tips: http://www.barrreport.com/articles/433-non-co2-methods.html.

If you have specific questions after reading up on the non-CO2 method, you can ask here.

6. Carissa

Carissa Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    1. Algae removal/bleach dip 1:20 solution for 3 minutes all plants that are too bad off to prune
    2. 50% water change/gravel vac
    3. Dose your ferts (including phosphate which you're not dosing right now)
    4. 3 day blackout

Repeat 1x/weekly (except the blackout, only do that once).