This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae in a non planted aquarium

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Bill, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Hi Tom,

I read that you have or had an aquarium maintenance business, and if you don't mind I have a question for you.

I'm guessing that you do mainly planted tanks but with all of your contacts I was hoping that you might have an answer for my question.

My kids have a small fish tank in their room with plastic plants and between water changes it gets a build up of algae. Since this is a fish only tank without any live plants, is there a good way to control the algae? What about algae destroyer or a product like that, do you know if it would be ok to use all the time?

I see non planted tanks at restaurants sometimes that seem to have never had any algae and you would think that they do something a little different.

Thanks for your help,
    Bill

2. Xanthid

Xanthid Junior Poster

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Algae in a non planted aquarium

Me not do a planted tank?

If I do tanks, they will have plants.
    No tank is safe from plants.

If you have a non planted tank, simply add some water sprite.
    It floats, grows etc.

I have no idea why folks in non planted tanks have algae "cures".
    Blackout, use less light or turn the light off for a few days.

Works as fast and is much better than high Copper levels for fish and the stress. More/larger Water changes really help also.

Regards,
    Tom Barr