Algae growers wanted :)

Pikez

Rotala Killer!
May 12, 2013
Close (but not too close) to LA
Since you are listing various reasons for causes of each algae, you might as well add: 'lack of vigorous plant growth' as a reason for most types of algae with the possible exception of diatoms.

It may merely be correlated, but the presence of vigorous plant growth virtually guarantees the absence of algae. There are a few exceptions, of course. This should serve to underscore a very important point that when you have algae, you need to focus on plants and not algae. Seems counter-intuitive, but this is an important lesson that many of us have had to learn the hard way over the years.

Personally, advice such as 'BGA = not enough N' or 'GSA = not enough P' were a disservice to me and distracted me from truly learning how to keep an algae-free tank.

Reactions: 4 people

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Good point Vin. Jason, I am wondering if we can rewrite that page by stating that vigorous plant growth is the best weapon against algae, and then suggest what the "tradition" says about each specific type of algae? I also was thinking about what Vin is suggesting when I saw the prototype of the new algae page a few days ago: in my own experience when you have algae is simply because plants are not growing well.

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
UK
barrreport.com
Thanks Vin and you have a very good point :)

The page is still a work in progress and after reading and reading different sites and info, new and old the causes and fixes are varied and the reason for this post and the algae page is to confirm them with updated information.

Maybe add a paragraph that stats what you are saying?

Fab sure we can rewrite it as you said its only a prototype and not final in anyway, all Info will come from hobbyists.

Thanks

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Agreed, poor plant growth/health= algae for most cases. Looking back, I've stated many times that the focus should be on the plant's growth, not worrying about the algal issues. This must go back to the mid 1990's. I've seen BGA in a wide range of conditions and others........but generally, we do see a fair amount of correlation for a lot of cases. We also need to factor algae eaters and all the factors that beat algae down, but help plants grow. Just routine habits aquarist make/do not make, can cause large differences. High light, generally those folks have more issues than most anyone else. Still, a focus on new plant growth is the key. It is clear we are not limiting algae.

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Regular water changes and uber clean conditions are also STRONG preventatives.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Maybe a better way to help with algae is to go through a checklist of what's needed for plants to grow well and consequently to prevent algae. For example: Do you have algae? Do you dose? How much light do you have? Low tech or high tech? Do you give enough Co2? Etc.... Troubleshooting possible causes of struggling plants. That could be done programmatically. Then leave the old way of showing and explaining each algae with the only purpose to teach hobbyists to recognize them from each other, not "what may cause that specific kind of algae"... Even thought some kind of algae could help to spot specific deficiencies (I.e. Lack of specific nutrients, etc)... Does this make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

tefsom85

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2005
Chandler, Az
Would it be better to describe the behavior of 'indicator plants' as a way to monitor optimum growth? Since we want optimum plant growth to limit algae, maybe a way to diagnose the plants themselves might be a good way to attack this. I realize not everyone grows the same plants, and maybe plant response is too varied from tank to tank, but I know that I would love to better understand what my plants are trying to tell me. Just a thought.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
tefsom85 said:
Would it be better to describe the behavior of 'indicator plants' as a way to monitor optimum growth? Since we want optimum plant growth to limit algae, maybe a way to diagnose the plants themselves might be a good way to attack this. I realize not everyone grows the same plants, and maybe plant response is too varied from tank to tank, but I know that I would love to better understand what my plants are trying to tell me. Just a thought.

Good point, that may also be part of the equation I was trying to propose.

Jason King

barrreport.com
Staff member
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
UK
barrreport.com
Sounds good to me :) and maybe a plan for the future Fab?

For now I will continue with the pages as they are, but adding this would be a great addition?

To both the algae and plant deficiency pages