algae for sale

hadog

Prolific Poster
Feb 20, 2005
Sydney, Canada
Hello Tom

I have been reading a few of your messages in regards to algae on another site and I am in need of a little help :)
well probably more than a little!!

Naturally I have an algae problem....It looks like blue/green and hair/beard algae. On the walls and the plants.

Here is my setup:
75 g tank
20 or so fish...tetras mainly
ph is 6.5
nitrates about 10
water is on the hard side(don't know the actual values)
phosphates over the roof...my tap water is 0 so I have something in the tank causing this to be high.
I am using a DIY CO2 system...two bottles. I am beginning to get the parts for a pressurized system but that will still take a bit of time.

I do a 20-30% water change per week,

Lighting is six forty watt bulbs on for about 10 hours.

I am inproving my substrate...a combination of eco-complete and gravel. I did put a few small pieces of Jobe's spikes in (I know, I know...never again!!) I can't find them so I vaccumed the area the best I could. No doubt this is my po4 problem.

The fish are great...the plants look like they are having a hard time..I can grow algae without a problem :)

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK
Re: algae for sale

I hate to see unanswered threads, especially when the question is as valid as yours. Maybe the title put some people off as not many would wish to buy algae.

Here,in the absense of Tom, is my humble offering. On the algae, manually clear as much as you can. If the BGA is extensive consider a 3 day blackout. Do a 30-50% water change afterwards. Keep on top of it.

Your lighting level looks OK. Your CO2 potentially is not up to it, that will improve when you get a pressure system. You need to get a water hardness test kit and test your tapwater and tank water. The Kh (temporary hardness) result will allow you to calculate the CO2 level in conjunction with your Ph figure.

The spikes were a mistake I would persevere and do a finger search for them. Put as many fast growing plants in your tank as it will hold, these together with water changes should neutralise the phosphates.

Good luck.

Ian

fosteder

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2005
Rochester, NH

Over feeding might be a source for PO4 too. You may want to look in to cutting back...but that is just an idea/suggestion. I don't know your feeding rituals.

What are you dosing and how much? What is your Kh?

I can't tell you what to do about the beard algae, although I have read that if your nutrients are at a good level and so is your lighting, then it points to a low CO2 problem. But more informed people could help you out there. ;)

I have recently had a bout with BGA, so I can tell you exactly what Tom told me to do.

1. remove as much as you can from plants (luckily BGA comes off pretty easy). Prune the plants (esp the ones with a lot of algae on them). Fluff the plants.

2. Vacuum your subsrate really well. Get the Jobe's spikes out.

3. Clean your filter and media really well....and all other equipment that is in the water.

4. 50% water change

5. Dose KNO3. Low nitrates and bad maintenance are the causes of BGA. Even if your test reads 10 ppm, it could be lower than that. I think Tom told me to dose 1/4 tsp per 25 gal.

6. Blackout for three full days. Use doubled up black contractor trash bags. If you have a HOB filter, cover it. Cover EVERYTHING.

7. After blackout, do a 50% water change and dose KNO3. Dose 2-3x per week from now on.

Hopefully this helps, at least it will give Tom a rest from typing the same advice over again. :)

Derek

hadog

Prolific Poster
Feb 20, 2005
Sydney, Canada

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies...I think next time I will try not to put any humor in the title :)

I don't have a test kit for water hardness....although I know it is hard.
My feeding routine is small. my PO4 problem is the spikes.....trying to get the little pieces out (find them) is getting to be a battle but I am getting there. I think once I do that I will be ok on that end.
I have increased the NO3 and I am keeping it steady. I have removed a fair amount of the algae.....just doing this it appears it is getting under control.
I have not tried to blackout/NO3 yet. I want to see if I can get the po4 under wraps before I attempt that.
I am working on getting a pressurized co2 system....got a regulator just need the tank and tubing...and a needle valve....so that will not happen too soon.
the DIY is giving me some co2 but not really the best for 75g
Geeze and all I wanted was a few plants for my fish!!!
I am dosing NO3, potassium, iron and trace

My NO3 is staying around 10 ppm should I increase that?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

hadog said:
Hi Guys
I don't have a test kit for water hardness....although I know it is hard.

Not an issue unlless you want to figure out how much CO2 is in the water, it's extremely difficult for folks with a 75 gal tank and 240w of light to get enough CO2 in there with DIY.

That's a large part of the issue right and will continue to be so.
Try 160w for now.

My feeding routine is small. my PO4 problem is the spikes.....trying to get the little pieces out (find them) is getting to be a battle but I am getting there. I think once I do that I will be ok on that end.

PO4 is not the issue. Don't even worry or consider it for now.

I have increased the NO3 and I am keeping it steady. I have removed a fair amount of the algae.....just doing this it appears it is getting under control.
I have not tried to blackout/NO3 yet. I want to see if I can get the po4 under wraps before I attempt that.

Again, stop thinking about PO4, think CO2, the pH/KH combo and KNO3.
PO4 is not the issue.

I am working on getting a pressurized co2 system....got a regulator just need the tank and tubing...and a needle valve....so that will not happen too soon.
the DIY is giving me some co2 but not really the best for 75g
Geeze and all I wanted was a few plants for my fish!!!
I am dosing NO3, potassium, iron and trace

My NO3 is staying around 10 ppm should I increase that?

Ignore your test kit please.
Same for the PO4.

Buy a KH test kit and GH test kit, they are cheap.
pH test kit as well.

That's all you'll need.

Do that and tell us what those readings are.
Test pH at beginning of the lighting cycle and at the end.

Regards,
Tom Barr

hadog

Prolific Poster
Feb 20, 2005
Sydney, Canada

Hi Tom

Ok I will revise my thinking...
My ph has been a steady 7
my no3 is 15

other than testing for po4 (which I will now stop) that is all I can test for at present
I will get the kh and gh kit but that usually takes a few weeks to get things here.

In the meantine I will drop the watts and I assume up my no3?

I am getting a co2 system soon...a few weeks again. Should I continue with the DIY system till then?

On another note what is KH and GH??

hadog

Prolific Poster
Feb 20, 2005
Sydney, Canada

Tom

Finally got my kits....
Here is where I stand now:

NO3 .... 15ppm
PO4 .... 10ppm

ph .... 8.0 (jumped a bit since I stopped the DIY co2)

KH ..... 5 dKH
GH ..... 8 dGH

My co2 system is on the way...another week or so.

Where do I go in the meantime?

Wö£fëñxXx

Prolific Poster
Jan 24, 2005

Run half you're light's till the C02 arrive's, do a couple of water changes to reduce you're P04 a bit, other than that, you should be good to go.