Algae - do I need to rip out the invested moss or wait for recovery

paulgitter

Oct 20, 2013
About 1 months ago I planted xmas moss on my driftwood. Most of it grew nicely. Initially I had some green algae, which I was able to get rid of with reducing the light intensity a little. Now BBA (I believe) has gotten in.

On the right side of the picture you see moss growing nicely and being very green. On the left - algae.

2014-02-03%4018-20-37-00891-DSC-RX100M2-XL.jpg

Here a detail shot:

2014-02-03%4018-20-19-00890-DSC-RX100M2-XL.jpg

Should I wait for it to recover or just rip out the invested on and plant new moss? I put my Eheim skimmer behind it a few days ago, because I read that BBA shows up in areas of little water flow. Now it's definitely not an area of low flow.

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
Except for the patch on the right, it looks gone to me.

What made the BBA turn white, Excel?

If not, pull off the bad areas with your fingers and then clobber it with Excel using a dropper when you do a water change.

Better yet, pull the wood and clean in the sink with a brush, then treat with Excel or H. peroxide, then rinse.

paulgitter

Oct 20, 2013
I have applied Excel with a syringe, so yes, I assume that's what it turn it white. Unfortunately I can't really remove the wood from the aquarium w/o upsetting everything.

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
The Excel probably killed the moss also. Probably should scrub the white/dead off rather than let it dissolve into the water.