This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Algae, Co2, Light Tuning Question

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by RRKPL, Nov 10, 2018.

1. RRKPL

RRKPL New Member

Local Time:
    5:24 PM
    I'm starting out my CO2 journey with a 2.6 gallon Spec Tank with a Plant v3 light. The tank is only 2 months old, cycled (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 4 nitrate, 6.4ph) I have it fairly heavily planted and am getting some algae which I expected in a new tank. I started CO2 a week ago and have worked up to 25-30ppm and am running a 10 hour photoperiod at 80% intensity on the lighting.

My question is to stimulate plant growth and reduce algae would it be better to:

!. Turn light intensity down 15-20% for the photoperiod assuming the plants would have the advantage of CO2 to out compete algae.

or

2. Turn the light intensity up 15-20% assuming increased light would increase plant growth helping to out compete the algae?

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Cut the photo period to 6-7 hours.
    4ppm of NO3 is low, what are PO4 levels/other water parameters and what do you dose?

3. RRKPL

RRKPL New Member

Local Time:
    Parameters, tested just now with CO2 running
    Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0, PH 6.3, KH -2. Watched an ADU video on new tank algae and Dave said turning down light intensity was the same as shortening the photo period so I have turned intensity from 80 percent down to 53 percent which should be the same light reduction as turning the timer from 9 hours to 6 hours a 33 percent reduction.
    Dosing 2 drops Flourish every 2 days which I believe is recommended dose for just over 2 gallons

4. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Nitrate and phosphate @ zero is not so good.
    What are you dosing for macros?

Flourish alone has never solved anything.

5. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Reduction of intensity is alright as long as no plants are requiring more light.

6. RRKPL

RRKPL New Member

Local Time:
    As two dosing with macros, I had figured the combination of a decent bioload and stratum substrate would be OK initially. I am actually kind of surprised there are no nitrates, must be the plants on CO2 sucking them up.

What would you recommend for macro dosing. I’m new at this and comes from years of reef tank experience so have no knowledge of plant dosing.

7. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
Tags: