Algae Cell

Steven

Guru Class Expert
Aug 5, 2009
Hi,

My tank water is cloudy recently and it looks like green water although the first time it looks like white cloud but gradually turn to green color, no matter how much water I wc but it stays cloudy in just a few days. I decided to re-scape instead of using UV sterilizer to cure the problem.

The only question is should I throw away my old filter medias or it is safe to continue using them for new setup as long as I wash them before using again considering that green algae water is a unicell algae that is so tiny (probably) and will remains in filter medias and will reproductive again on my new setup?

Thank you.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
There's always algae or algae spores in a tank/filter. The trick is creating conditions in which it does not tend to grow. Don't worry about the filter media, instead focus on creating better conditions. In your case, look to NH4 issues and try using a blackout for a few days if it comes back.

Steven

Guru Class Expert
Aug 5, 2009
Thank you Dan but I've decided to rescape rather than blackout. If it is you, do you replace the media or not?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I wouldn't replace it. There's always algae or algae spores in a tank and floating in the air. You can't prevent it from getting into the tank; it's carried on the plants, in the fish, in the water and through the air. All you can do is do your best to stop it from multiplying.

Steven

Guru Class Expert
Aug 5, 2009
Thank you once again Dan. I think I'll do the blackout for the algae to die ( I need to safe some plants ) and then just total re-scape but still using some of my current plants to minimize the risk. I'll replace my AS but not my filter media and improve my CO2 diffusing way by using an external reactor. Hope this time I really capable to create the balance of light, nutrition and CO2 .

Steven

Guru Class Expert
Aug 5, 2009
I've done a blackout for 3 days and the result...as usual...satisfied. My tank water back to crystal clear, I changed the whole 90% of it. But...in a week later, it's gradually turn to greenish agaaain but this time the algae spores/cell multiply much more slower....:(. Really don't have any clue what is the cause and how to clear this problem. Now, I'm more and more become hesitate to use all of my equipments including my plants for my next setup (planning on rescape soon).

Oh and I've checked for NH3/4 and the result is 0ppm, NO3 is 10ppm. Hope this will help. I begin to suspect the cause is the mixture of several kind brands of soil/substrate that causes my plant to uproot itself first and the lowest layer of substrate somewhat or somehow become disturbed and raise to the top level and contaminate the water. Please folks, any help? any of you experienced this before and how to cope the problem?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator: