Airstone question

rick4him

Prolific Poster
Mar 4, 2008
So I had some issues with some fish over the weekend, and I posted on another website.

Everyone there told me I need to use an airstone at night when my co2 is off.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this something I need/should do?

Thanks -
Rick

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You should have your filter's output set up in a way that you get surface movement. If you have that, you really shouldn't need an airstone. I read your routine on your site/blog, which eliminates some possible problems.

If some of your fish died, here are some possible problems:

1) If you make a lot of changes to your landscaping and kick up some dirt in your tank to make the water cloudy, it is always good to do a big water change at that time (50% would be good) -- do this right away.

2) Flow problems? Although the gph of your filter is probably adequate, it is not overwhelming. I'm a little underpowered on my filtering, so I keep a close eye on my flow and keep the filter (and added pre-filter) very clean. The cleanliness of my pre-filter and filter makes a huge difference in my flow. I also have to keep my plants pruned carefully to avoid blocking water flow too much.

3) Although I doubt this would kill your fish, hopefully you turn off the CO2 about an hour before you turn off your lights.

4) If you been doing anything out of the ordinary or if anything out of the ordinary happened, this could have also caused a problem. But, there is no way for any of us to know that one, unless you mention it, i.e. -- long power outage, heater left unplugged, medicines in tank, etc, etc.

Edit: Sheesh, that's embarrassing! I'm sorry, I did not look and see that this was the Talk to Tom Barr forum when I responded. Sorry Tom and Rick.

rick4him

Prolific Poster
Mar 4, 2008
hey no problem - well there are a few things going on.

On Saturday I added a spraybar, an inline reactor, and 4 card. tetras. I also moved some plants around.

After that the water has been cloudily. I did 2 50% water changes on Saturday, each time it looks clear for a little bit, then goes right back to being cloudily.

I also added a heater. I didn't have one hooked up as I live in Texas, and my temp is always around 73 or in my tank. However I added a heater to keep the temp a constant 78 degrees, even at night.

I don't know what's going on. I've lost all but one of my tetras. (7 total) and I'm pretty sure some amanio shrimp have died as well.

I don't know what to do. Should I do another water change today? It looks so bad with that cloudily water.

And please feel free to chime in - or if you think I need to move this post to another section of the fourm, so more people can chime it, please let me know.
Thanks

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
So my guess is that when you did some replanting some ammonia leeched out of you ADA substrate and caused a few problems, but that's just a guess.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Rick,

What size tank and what type of filter do you have? What's the gph on your filter? Did you try cleaning it out? No matter how cloudy I make my water (and I have made it so bad that I'm sure the fish couldn't see 2" in front of their noses), my filter clears it up in under an hour...tops. One thing to note: I have a standard canister (Fluval 305 -- probably underpowered for my 50G tank), and I have a Marineland Emporer 280 which I run at night (with an occasional 5 min. run during day to keep moist) and after I mess up the water. So when both of mine are running, I have 540gph, which is pretty good.

Is this a new tank that is still cycling? You might have high nitrites ... pretty much as deadly as ammonia.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I just saw your filter and tank size on your blog...

From what I've read on this site, it seems that spray bars are not the greatest. You'd probably be better off having one outlet nozzle and spraying across the tank. I believe that would make for better flow. This could account for your water staying cloudy, I suppose.

rick4him

Prolific Poster
Mar 4, 2008
I have an Eheim 2215 for my tank which is more then enough.

No the tank isn't new. The only thing "new" i did was add an inline reactor for my co2, and a spray bar.

I don't know if maybe for some reason if the water is staying cloudy for one of those two things?

rick4him

Prolific Poster
Mar 4, 2008
tedr108;23670 said:
I just saw your filter and tank size on your blog...

From what I've read on this site, it seems that spray bars are not the greatest. You'd probably be better off having one outlet nozzle and spraying across the tank. I believe that would make for better flow. This could account for your water staying cloudy, I suppose.

So your saying I should I put the little shepard cane back onto my filter and just shot it across the top Do you think this would be better?

If so, why?

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I've seen it recommended by some knowlegable people on this site. I can only guess that a spray bar splits the flow through a number of holes and actually cuts down on the current around the tank. I think that a single nozzle creates more of a swirling current. All of your plants should be at least swaying gently at all times.

rick4him

Prolific Poster
Mar 4, 2008
Hmm. they are. I was thinking the spraybar is making it cloudy by pushing things around to much.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's a good sign that your plants are swaying. My spray bar would not cause my substrate to stir up, that's for sure. Not sure what the Eheim spray bar looks like. You don't have the holes pointing downward, do you? I've never actually used a spray bar ... it should be creating surface movement rather than being pointed too far down. With my filter, the instructions definitely state NOT to point the nozzle at the substrate ... I'm about 3" below the water surface and pointing horizontal -- I would guess that a spray bar wouldn't be down that far, but don't know for sure. There is a very nice flow around my tank with my setup.

rick4him

Prolific Poster
Mar 4, 2008
Yah my flow is good - its the cloudy water that's getting me. I don't understand it.

I thinking of getting one of those UV things and seeing if that helps. I just don't want to spend the money if I didn't have to you know.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I hear you on the money ... I've wasted a little bit myself.

I don't believe UV sterilizers help with cloudy water, but not sure.

You know, Rick, I really think that you should make a new post in the general forums asking this question -- maybe just General Plant Topics, unless you see a better one. If you are new to this stuff, the Beginner Forum posts usually get a ton of kind help. Give all of the specs and I'm sure someone will be able help you. Most people wouldn't think to come to the Talk to Tom Barr forum ... I only came here by accident.