This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Airstone and Co2

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by aquajay, Apr 6, 2011.

1. aquajay

aquajay Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:11 PM
    I have a 55 gallon planted tank that is 48" long and 20" high. I'm using CO2 injection with a Milwaukee PH monitor. For lighting I'm using two 54 watt T5 lights. My filter is an Eheim Professional 3e model 2078. I run the lights 4 hours on 3 1/2 hours off and then 4 hours on. The water chemistry all checks out normal. Running CO2 my PH is around 6.5. I have 2 big pieces of driftwood in the tank and am using Aquasoil Amazonia so I think that has an impact on the PH.

Here's my question. Is it a good idea to run an airstone at night? I recently put one in and had it running all night (with the CO2 off) and when I got up in the morning the PH went from 6.5 to 7.3. I was thinking about having it go on four an hour, off an hour and so on for the night (with the CO2 on). I know that may be somewhat of a waste of the CO2, but am concerned about getting oxygen into the tank. I do have surface agitation on the surface but since it a long tank it's on on a third to half of the tank.

Thanks.

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:11 PM
    At night nothing needs CO2, so there's no use to have it on at night. It's ok to use an airstone at night, but if it's necessary is trivial. If the surface agitation is enough, that's sufficient. Degassing a ot of CO2 at night is ok, but take into account that your CO2 system is able to bring the CO2 to the desired level fast enough.

Don't worry about the pH swing caused by CO2, that's something different than pH swings caused by changes in the acids.