This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Air as a nitrogen source?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by JoeBanks, May 31, 2006.

1. JoeBanks

JoeBanks Prolific Poster

Just curious about this:

If you bubble air into your tank, does the nitrogen dissolve into the water? Can the plants use it as a nitrogen source?

2. defdac

defdac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Re: Air as a nitrogen source?

No but some species of Cyanobacteria can. I don't think the usual species of Cyanobacteria we have in our tanks (Osciallatoria) are able to fix nitrogen though. They don't develop heterocysts needed for N2-uptake:
    http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200103/msg00404.html

That said Cyanobacteria in my own tank seems very good at surviving very low nitrogencontent in the water, but I guess it has to do with the niche-thingy - they have an extreme surface:volume-ratio and oscillates which makes them efficiently grab every little N-containing molecule they can come over.

I know Tom can explain it better though =)