Aerating the tank with the co2-reactor?

Vidar Vekve

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
norway
I got a Dupla S reactor and according to Dupla its effective enough to feed a 5000 liter tank with Co2, but what about O2 for my 230 liter?

I'm aerating my tank at night with an airstone, but If I put a T on the gas intake of the reactor and feed it with Co2 daytime and O2 at night, would O2 dissolve enough to keep my fish happy?

The airpump is on one timer and the Co2 is on the same timer as the light.

Has anybody tried this?

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark
Re: Aerating the tank with the co2-reactor?

Vidar Vekve said:
I got a Dupla S reactor and according to Dupla its effective enough to feed a 5000 liter tank with Co2, but what about O2 for my 230 liter?

I'm aerating my tank at night with an airstone, but If I put a T on the gas intake of the reactor and feed it with Co2 daytime and O2 at night, would O2 dissolve enough to keep my fish happy?

The airpump is on one timer and the Co2 is on the same timer as the light.

Has anybody tried this?

That should work just fine. I haven't tried it myself, but I cannot see why it wouldn't ....
Is there any particular reason why you run an airstone? that shouldn't be necessary at all.... not with your plants supplying oxygen to the water in the daytime....
I never run an airstone, (I probably would in an emergency), and I've never seen problems with fish. If your Co2 levels are set at a particular level, there shouldn't be any cause for concern on O2 issues.....

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I've added prue O2, but like high levels of CO2, it's toxic.
There should not be any need to aerate at night, just turn off the CO2 and have enough surface turbulance(you can always add a little bit more CO2).

The Reactor might say it's good for a tank that size, but hahahahahahahahaha!

It's not even close. Maybe 400-500liters and even then.........
You can make one for 10-20$ that is better.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Vidar Vekve

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
norway

The tank is 40x40x145cm. I use an Eheim 2224 canister filter (500l/h waterflow) and one Eheim Compact 1000 powerhead (1000 l/h) for the reactor. On top of that I have a Fluval 1 (180 l/h) in the upper back corner just to break the surface.

My stocking: 5 Clown LOaches (7 - 12 cm)
4 Pearl Gouramis (10 - 12 cm)

If I don't put O2 in at night, the fish are gasping every morning. I lost my four SAE's a couple of months ago when i messed up with the timer and the airpump did not start at night.

The problem might be that the canister is to small for the tank. Right after cleaning the filter and the waterflow should be at its peak, the surface movement only reaches 2/3 of the tank. Thats why I put in the little Fluval at the other end.

Tom, I guess you are right about the capasity of the reactor... I think the vendors "strech the truth" concerning capacity.
The Eheim 2224 should be big enough for a 250 l tank, but that is not my experience... especially if the tank don't follow standard measurements. My tank is a bit long for a 230 l.

The reason i would like to use the reactor for the O2 is one less tube into the tank and that the airstone is no good for the plants. Cobomba hate it... Maybe dissolved O2 would be better than the bubbles...?

I do turn my Co2 off at night so the reactor is only circulating water when the lights are out. Thought I could have it work around the clock....

I dont wanna put in one more powerhead. I was hoping I could take out the Fluval 1 as well as the airstone by bringin O2 to the reactor.

I might give it a shot...

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Personally, I'd get like a 1000-1250liter/h canister, or higher, the ViaAqua brand is very good for the $$.
They have a 1200liter/h model that should do all your needs.

It'll replace the other two items in there and negate your use for airstones at night.

If you added a hydror heater, then you would only the in and out tubes from the filter in there.

The line can be split or you can run 100% of the return to the CO2 reactor and then to the tank.

You could use compressed air I suppose(better idea.or an air pump + solenoid, you can also use a O2 controller, but that's going to get very costly.

There are a few options, I'm not so sure it'll give the results you want, that's a small fish load for the tank and not enough filter and current.

I'd add more surface movement. You can always add a bit more CO2 if needed.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Vidar Vekve

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
norway

I've replaced the Fluval 1 with an Eheim 2048 (600 l/h) and removed the airstone. (The Eheim 2048 was from another tank that is not in use) Plenty of surface movement now. Fish are happy and so am I...

I did not test out the idea about using the reactor for O2...

Not the optimum solution, but I'll run the tank this way for a while.

We are moving to a new home in a couple of months, so there will be a new setup and a new and bigger canister.

I wish I could take out the heater also so I've been looking at Eheims 2128 with built in heater. Eheim say this canister is for tanks up to 600 liter, but the filter-flow is only 650 l/h (the pump delivers 1050 l/h) This is only 30% more than the canister I've got today.

When you are talking waterflow, Tom, I guess you are talking about what I get when there is media in the canister and not what the pump is good for. Am I right?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

With respect to water flow, the amount of water through the filter is lowered when you add a reactor.

FYI, there is the new Fluval 5 out, looks nice, it's about 1000gph(not liters), one of the largest canisters around.

I have not been able to find much info on line, but there was an ad in a TFH or something.....

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Use the in line Hydro heaters.

Regards,
Tom Barr