This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on external C02 reactor

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by shogsten, Apr 27, 2005.

1. shogsten

shogsten Junior Poster

I'm currently running two internal venturi reactors on my 150 and I'm getting kind of tired of looking at them and I would like to build an external reactor. I've been poking around on the net and I've found several designs. What I'm looking for is some advice/reccomendations on what works well. I'm looking for a design that will accept and dissolved a lot of C02. I have a 150g and a KH of 18 so I need an effecient design.

A kind of silly question what are folks doing to keep water from exiting these external reactors if the C02 hose comes off ? i have no real desired to drain any amount of water from a 150 gallon tank onto the floor.

Thanks

Scott Hogsten

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Advice on external C02 reactor

I use a sump on tanks this size.
    External CO2 reactors work well and DIY are very easy for sump set ups.

Most will use a check valve in case the CO2 line falls off. Or secure the line extra good.

I use the latter.

Efficiency will be related to flow and diameter and length of reactor tube. Adding bioballs will help with the exchange by breaking up the water/gas mix and also provided min clogging.

12-16" length and 3" dia would be plenty.
    I'd drive it with at least 300-400gph.

Internals can be hidden easily, add a piece of drift wood or cork to it and attach a plant to this.
    Camo the reactor.

I'll post a few designs for DIY external reactors, all with venturi's.

regards,
    Tom Barr

3. shogsten

shogsten Junior Poster

>I'll post a few designs for DIY external reactors, all with venturi's

Thanks, looking forward to it. I'm having a hard time hiding the internal ones to my satisfaction plus I have almost everything else out of the tank. I had a sump under this tank when I was doing brackish water, but I could never get it as quiet as would like (it's in a family room). I have a very light fish load now and plan to keep it that way so it decreases my need for a sump. I would really like to setup something that is stand alone from the filters and use a circulation pump to drive water through it.

Scott

4. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm going to be about a month behind in you ...

One of our subscribers sent me his version of an internal Venturi reactor. I have to say I am pleasantly suprised that so far, after 48 hours, it seems to be able to keep up with my 180 gallon tank (I honestly figured it would require two of them to keep up) ...

Here's a picture to an external reactor in our gallery (I don't remember whose it is) ... Click Here And I know that Tom has a few designs that he has planned to put together into an article here ... hopefully those designs will provide those of us with larger tanks a greater degree of efficiency than the traditional designs powered off of our filter output ... I know that I have been impressed with the efficiency of this internal venturi I'm testing ...

Greg

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Yes, I just bought the parts tonight actually and will do a photo shoot and have it up this weekend.

BTW, Harbor Freight and Tool is selling 80 gph pumps for 4.99$ea.
    Fricking insanely cheap.

I'll post both the sump version (very efficient and easy to make!) and the hang on verison/s.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. shogsten

shogsten Junior Poster

No kidding !! I picked up two at the local store the other day. I picked up a 240gph pump last year (more like 150gph) for doing water changes. I think it was $14.99 looks like the medium sized Rio pump.

Scott

7. AZFish1

AZFish1 Junior Poster

Hey Tom!

Did you have a chance to put this together over the weekend? Waiting and salivating over here :p

8. PeterGwee

PeterGwee Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Tom, have you finish building the DIY external reactor w/venturi? :D It sure seems a long long time... :p

Regards
    Peter Gwee

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Yep, I have not.
    Too many irons in the skillet.
    The first order is the monthly articles. The rest are extras. The parts are still lying here.

I am going to be busy in FL for the next 2 weeks, so I'll have an article for you and then get to it.

Regards,
    Tom Barr