This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Apogee sensor type

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by pepetj, Feb 17, 2011.

1. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:31 PM
    I'm purchasing an Apogee Quantum Meter, model MQ-200.

I noticed the sensors come in three versions (each version in two models: sunlight and electric lamp), two of which need supply of 2.5 or 5VDC respectively. Which one should I get? Is there any downside in purchasing the "passive" one over the "powered" ones?

I have another question. Do you know if the line sensor (works with model MQ-300) is water proof?

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

#1 pepetj, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Pepetj,

I have the older version and the sensor was powered/attached directly to the sensor. I did get the 'electrical' calibration for the sensor.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance...

3. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Got a word from Apogee technical department. Unfortunately the linear sensor isn't waterproof since it has an aperture for calibration that exposes electronics within the housing.

So back to the separate single sensor. I just ordered the non-amplified version, electric SQ-120, its leveling mounting plate and the cable for transferring data into a computer. USD500 including the MQ-200 meter (it comes with a sensor).

#3 pepetj, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I Do Not Understand

Hi Pepetj,

Are you sure? :confused::confused::confused:

My MQ-200 sensor is completely sealed and has worked marvelously.

As of today, the Apogee web site still lists the MQ-200 as

• {Emphasis are mine.}
    • “The Quantum Meter (model MQ-200) manufactured by Apogee Instruments is ideally suited for use in aquariums. The sensor head is potted solid and completely sealed. There is no hollow cavity for water to eventually penetrate and cause measurement errors. The blue lens improves the spectral response to more accurately measure all wavelengths of light. The logging capability of the meter allows you to monitor light levels on a half hour basis for 99 measurements and stores a daily total for over three months.”
    • http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/quantum/coral-aquariums.html

Biollante

5. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I was referring to the linear sensors (e.g. 50cm long with 6 sensors) that works with the MQ-300 Meter, not the separate single sensor.

I ordered it yesterday. Had it shipped to Boston -where I'll spent a week early in March- so I bring it home with me (that way I don't have to pay ridiculous high taxes at Dominican customs).

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

#5 pepetj, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011