This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed- Starting new tank

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Old Salt, May 26, 2012.

1. Old Salt

Old Salt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:49 AM
    I'm about to start a new 75gallon tank, and before I go to far along just want to make sure I'm not over looking anything or wasting my money on the wrong stuff. tank dimensions are 48.5L x 18.5W x21.125H
    Lighting (2) Current USA T5HO 48 inch fixutes for 216watts of lighting = 2.8WPG
    Filter- Rena XP3 -350GPH
    Subtrate will be Flourite/Oxyxsand

Flora- Water Sprite, Giant Hygrophila, Rotala Indica, Crypt balansae, wendtii(red), undulata, willisi, retro, Barclaya,Dwarf water onion, Aponogeton Fenestalis, Dwarf Lily, Java Fern, Corkscrew, Contortionist and Jungle Vals, groung cover is Four leaf clover

Fauna: Hengeli Narrow Rasbora(12)
    Panda Garra Gara fluvatra (2)
    Blue Amur Taiwan Bitterling (6)
    Choprae Danio (12)
    Galaxy Rasbora (12)
    Licorice Gourami (6)
    Kuhli Loach (6)

I know I'm bordering on nneding CO2 due to the lighting, and that will most likely be added , but is there anything else I'm missing? Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Patients, Circulation, Looks Good to Me...

Hi,

The only real concerns I have are the Panda Garra (Garra flavatra), really need a mature tank encouraging good biofilm growth.

You may wish to increase your water circulation, double or triple, maybe even a bit more.
    ;)

As you develop a little growth, shade with the plants should counter your light situation. I think you should be able to do quite well without CO[SUB]2[/SUB] if you are patient.
    :cool:

Biollante

3. Anka

Anka Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have the same tank dimensions - I have 1300 LPH (roughly 350 GPH?) from my filters but I also have a 2000 LPH wavemaker. My tank is plumbed so I couldn't fix the flow rate without adding extra equipment.

I'd recommend you triple that flow rate :)

4. Old Salt

Old Salt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the input, Will look at increasing the filtration. The Panda Garra were going to be one of the last additions as the tank matures. I figure this won't see many fish added for at least two months after set up, and the fish will be added rather slowly. One species about every three to four weeks. Will start with the Bitterling's, then the Loaches. Schooling fish after that. Gouramis and then the Panda Garra.