adult shrimp with rams?

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Anybody here keeping (or kept in the past) adult shrimp with German Blue Rams? LFS wasn't sure if this would work out, but their mouths aren't that big. I know they will eat babies (my cardinals do that too). If need be, I can get some rather large Amanos in that tank. My other concern is that I do keep the water rather warm at 82 - 83° in this tank with rams, cards, otos, pandas and pencils. I know shrimp prefer cooler waters (esp. for breeding).

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Ted,

I would say the shrimp are okay as long as they are adults......

Rams are pretty peaceful, but if they breed or spawn, then be careful as they will attack anyone that comes near their brood.

That is why dwarf cichlids and corys do not always do well, as the cories are substrate dwellers, which is where the dwarf are breeding.

Not sure about the temps and shrimp.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, Gerry, I'll give the amanos a try.

Also thanks for the warning about rams and corys. From the looks of the acitivity, I'm guessing that 2 of my rams are thinking of breeding -- one male has been almost playfully chasing a female around a lot (he seems to stop when she stops, so he's not really being aggressive). Not sure if this is breeding behavior or not -- haven't read up on it. If the rams start attacking my pandas, they are going back to the LFS. Pandas are not real bright when it comes to territories :rolleyes: -- mine used to get pounded over and over by SAEs that were protecting a wafer or other food.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Ted,

The real issue with cories and dwarves is that cories tend to feed and move in packs. Even 5 or 6 small pandas would be too much for a pair of rams to fend off. They just get overwhelmed defending the brood site....

As you mention, they pay no heed to fish warnings, so they would be especially bad IMO.

cc_woman

Junior Poster
Apr 7, 2008
If you want shrimp that work with some cichlids, try larger species like whisker shrimp or ghost shrimp. I found these guys were a little less readily eaten by fish.

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Corys don't care about anything else. lol.

If they want to go somewhere they are like the moody teenager that barge their way through and ignore any complaints.

Rams and shrimp however!!! When I had the combo the Rams didn't eat the adults but they sure did bite legs and antennae off!!! Especially as Shrimp swarm around food sources in huge numbers such as eggs!!!

AC

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
I have cory's, rams, amato's, and red cherries together. I still see the red cherries around after a few months together. My rams push the corys around a bit. My temp is 82-84F.

bibbels

Prolific Poster
Aug 16, 2008
I would stick to the Neocaridina sp. for the higher temps (ie RCS, snowball, yellow, etc)

Jeff1192

Junior Poster
Sep 17, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I have rams in with amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, red-nosed shrimp and cherry shrimp. They've been together for over a year with very few problems. The odd time I've seen my biggest male ram pick off an adult cherry shrimp but it doesn't happen too often.

Jeff

BayBoy1205

Junior Poster
Jan 29, 2009
I have 3 GBR's in my 125g tank along with many red cherry shrimp. The Rams don't seem to bother them really. The tank is right around 82 degrees and the shrimp are breeding like crazy. Every once in a while you will see a baby shrimp get eaten :( But I have so many.