This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Mulm to Existing Substrate

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by steve001, Dec 26, 2011.

1. steve001

steve001 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:29 AM
    After many decades my tank has sprung a pinhole leak in a seam down close to the substrate. Now it looks like I'll have to break down the tank completely too make certain I recaulk the seam thoroughly. Now there's quite a bit of mulm laying near the back of the tank. I am considering buying new substrate but I got to wondering if mixing in this mulm into the existing substrate instead of buy new substrate if this would be a practical and beneficial way to proceed ?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Using existing mulm and/or some of the old substrate is a tried and true method for assisting when replacing substrate, Do some extra water changes the first 2-3 weeks to help things along.

If doing this in the future, toss in a few large sponges NOW, and beef up the feeding. This will establish good bacteria on the sponges.

These can be helpful with new substrate and can be removed later.

If the substrate is very old, I would recommend replacing it if possible...do a thorough cleaning at the same time....

Hope this helps.

3. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Steve,

Twice I have plugged tiny leaks with mud. I placed a handful of topsoil near the leak and the mud particles plugged the leak.

The mud in the water can be easily removed by a filter.

Bill

4. steve001

steve001 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Actually is started as three tiny leaks higher up. Those were easy too plugged with silicone sealant. Then a few weeks later some new leaks developed lower. However, there's just one very slow persistent pinhole leak which I will attempt again to seal up this coming weekend. I bought this tank back in the late 80's and it has served me well. I'll forego the mud fix. :) Thanks.

Back to my original question. After doing a web search testimonial wise it seems adding the mulm into the substrate is a good idea.

#4 steve001, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011