Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
That Is Just Gooberific

barbarossa4122;60362 said:
Hi,

I read that post and Tom suggested:
ICONATOR_19abf13d53b2763a065cc12a902961aa.gif

My NO3 is between 20and 30ppm. Since I want to make sure I dose enough potassium can someone please explain to me Tom's suggestion or how much potassium (ppm) should I have in moderate to high bio load tank. Thanks.

Hi,

Actually equal amounts of K and NO3 is 4.4:1 K:N.

Indeed a thousand years ago we did dose higher K.

Biollante

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
LoudCreature;60377 said:
I was just trying to rescue our poor little Tug.

This may be one of those “context” things, the piece cited is from last millennium, a millennium is thousand years , so a thousand years ago people believed all kinds of things and one of them was we need 3 or 4 times as much K as NO3.

In modern times most people seem to think about the same amount of NO3 as K works. Lucky for us old timey people, extra K doesn't hurt much.

And I think there has been enough discussion of this lately, you ought have realized that

LC

Hey,

I was trying to find out what's the best ppm of K to have b/c it was a little confusing for me.. What game are you referring to ?

And I think there has been enough discussion of this lately, you ought have realized that
Do you want to decide for me what I should post/discuss ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Just an educated guess based on what these threads are all saying, if you are dosing KNO3, KH2PO4 & GH Booster you would not need to dose K2SO4.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Real question is what K+ is limiting?
It will depend on CO2/light mostly, then other potentially limiting nutrients.

But many could get by with even less than say 10ppm, even 2-5ppm without much issue.

Others might find 30-40ppm a good target.
I think KNO3 alone is enough to prevent limitations over a broad range of conditions and loading.

Evidence also suggest it also.

Regards,
Tom Barr