Adding Co2 To My 40b Planted Tank

Matt T

May 23, 2020
Dallas, TX
This aquarium is a 40B with an AquaClear HOB filter, has been setup and planted for about 10 months already. Fluval Stratum substrate and a Fluval 3.0 light with about a 9 hour light cycle. I fertilize 2-3 times weekly with all-in-one ferts (EasyGreen or Dustin's Growth Juice) and iron twice a week. I run an airstone 24x7. I would say that I've had moderate success with easy-ish plants so far although growth is slow and some signs of deficiency. No major algae issues after overcoming the early tank diatoms. Figured that I've got good light, good substrate, good ferts - so I'm guessing that CO2 is my limiting factor in achieving better results, so it's time to put my fears aside and dive in to CO2 injection!

5/23/20 - Installed my first CO2 kit today
Using a basic Aquatek regulator, 5 lb CO2 tank, and the NilocG Aquatics Atomic+ Precision Co2 Atomizer. Have a Bubble counter and a Fluval CO2 indicator kit. I positioned the atomizer directly under the HOB output in the middle of the tank and the bubbles appear to be circulating throughout. Starting with 1 bubble per second because I'm nervous to move to quickly in increasing CO2 concentration. I must admit, I'm not yet comfortable with tracking all of the CO2/pH/kH parameters here yet, so I'm kind of easing into this so as not to jeopardize the livestock.

Reactions: Allwissend

Matt T

May 23, 2020
Dallas, TX
UT5Afio.jpg