This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding afew pieces of shrimp to substrate for DSM

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by beachroadbum, Dec 20, 2008.

1. beachroadbum

beachroadbum Junior Poster

Hi Guys,

I just picked up 3 pounds of leonardite and 3 bags of onyx sand for my 46bowfront. I will be using the dry start method. Now I do not have any mulm as this is going to be my first planted tank in four years. I know this may be a stupid idea but will it be beneficial in any way to add say a few pieces of shrimp in the soaked substrate when doing the dry start method? Would the decaying shrimp add beneficial nutrients in any way?
    I know that onyx sand does not contain any macros and it suggested to me to add macros to the water I use to soak the substrate....I wonder if shrimp will release macro nutrients as they decay?

2. custom240g

custom240g Junior Poster

I dont think that would be a wise thing to do. I have done the dry start method. In a humid enviroment the shrimp would grow mold or fungus im pretty sure. If anything add a dusting of peat. I dont know if theres anythin you can use as a substitution for mulm.

3. r1bill

r1bill Junior Poster

It's common in setting up a salt water tank to put in a few small pieces of dead fish or shrimp in the water to cycle the tank (ie create a population of bacteria) but that is with a full tank of water. Much better than stressing out the fish or getting starter fish that you later need to get out. But, I personally wouldn't bury dead stuff in the dirt and not add water to it.

Bill