This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

ADA pollen glass 20 from ADG

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Tom Barr, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    4:32 AM
    Recently I ordered 2 ADA pollen Glass diffuser 20's from
    Aquarium Design Group.

Thjese units have done very well and look very nice.
    All in all, I'd say these are worth the added cost based on overall quality and durability. They do costy more, and they are not for everyone, but they are certainly a few steps above many of the cheapy stones/disc etc.

I give a great deal of weight to a good CO2 system.
    That is one area I demand good performance.

So it might be worthwhile to consider these and the Ruby, this is a very nice very cool device. Again, perhaps 2-3x more than some other brands, but very nice.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

2. Sintei

Sintei Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Re: ADA pollen glass 20 from ADG

Ive emailed both ADA Europe and ADA USA. None of them can answer (infact USA didnt even bother answer) what porosity the ceramic diffuser have.
    Tom, since you got 2 of them, did it say what porosity they are in the manual (if you even got one)?

For me its a question of what can produce fine mist bubbles. As I work with with chemicals and drugs i have gotten my hands on some diffusers which are basicly the same as ADA glass diffusers. I wanted to compare physically as my definition of "fine mist" could be different than your and/or others. Hence the porosity (range 1-5) and the mikron size it defines.

Since my English isnt my native language, give me a heads up on what you dont understand. And ill try to explain it in another way. :gw

/Nicklas

3. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

I'm seriously thinking about ordering the Pollen Glass Large 30 for my 75g. My Azoo diffuser lasted 2 years before cracking when I wrenched it a bit too hard while taking it apart to for cleaning.

So $90 ain't cheap for a diffuser. I might get some hassle from the wife. Is it really worth the money when the Sweetwater stones are a lot cheaper?

4. Sintei

Lifetime Member

Local Time:

As a reference:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/9775/cid/2339

This item produces bubbles in the size of 100-500 mikrons. Converted to porosity range it is: biggest bubbles "00" and its smallest bubbles "1".

The ceramic glassdiffusers i use have a porosity of 5, 4 and 3. Respective range gives in size: 1,0-1,7 mikrons, 9-15 mikrons and 15-40 mikrons.

Huge difference here right? Does your glassdiffusers do better (finer) bubbles?
    Is it even possible to get finer bubbles since they probably bond to eachother more quickly when they are ultra small/leaving the diffusion area?

The glassdiffusors I use are abit more expensive and as you said in your post, Tom, not for the normal user. They are made for laboratory use and can withstand very corrosive chemicals hence I think using them in the aquarium would work sweet (and does for me).

5. reiverix

reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

Ok it's done. I ordered it. No resistance from the wife either. How could she complain, I bought her a parrot last week.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:

I use the 30 and the beetle 50's for a large tank.

Nice stuff, costly, but nice.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. Sintei

Lifetime Member

Local Time:

Tom, do you know how small bubbles the "beetle" produces?

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:

About the same as the Aquaticeco item, but it's a very pressure plate, runs on larger 1/4 tubing and 25psi. The ADA stuff seems to work well over time, a key thing here.

Venturi valves are very nice, that might be a better solution for some folks.

Regards,
    Tom Barr