This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

ADA P90 Newly Set Up. Some plants not looking good. Will they survive?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Tara, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Tara

Tara Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:15 AM
    Here is my ADA P90 which is my second planted tank. I am still a newbie and have easy plants in my 20 gallon with success. The 90p was just set up 2 days ago. I ordered plants (Staurogyne Repens, Blyxa Japonica, HC, Anubias Nana Petite, Alternanthera Reinecki 10, and Palustris Proserpinaca) from an online local vendor that sells from their own tanks and they appeared ok, but repens and blyxa didn't look great. They arrived in 1 day shipping, but I live in AZ (100+) and plants out of box were wrapped in newspaper which was surrounded by fiberglass insulation (not sure if that is normal) and they were very hot to the touch. I have CO2 and Build MY LED 10000k planted 4" above water. I have Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit mixed with some ADA Soil from my 20 gallon. My Staurogyne Repens, Blyxa Japonica, and Madagascar don't look good. Many of the leaves floated off of the repens. I actually replaced some of the repens with ones I got at Petsmart that looked better. Imagine that! The Blyxa leaves are thin and translucent. Have attached pics.

Will the plants survive?
    How long should I have LEDs on per day since this is a new set up? I have them on 7 hours now with CO2 coming on and off same time. Full power, but I can dim them.
    Should I add CO2 1 hour before lights and turn off 1hour before light go out?

Thanks for any help on this
    Tara
    View attachment 5187

#1 Tara, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
  2. Tara

Tara Junior Poster

Local Time:
    View attachment 5192
    Blyxa pic

Attached Files:

3. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I'm my experience with Blyxa and repens is that even with some melting given you inject co2 and have good lighting they should recover no problem. For me these have tended to be pretty hardy plants and grow relatively easy given the proper conditions.

Are you dosing ferts at all?

As far as the lighting I've always kept mine on around 7-8 hours and have the co2 come on a hour early to get the levels up for the plants to utilize it once the lights come on then I shut mine off an hour before my lights go out. Tends to be what I've read is the most common but in this hobby there is plenty of different approaches.

Good luck!!

Kev

4. Tara

Tara Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the advice. I am not dosing yet. I have read to wait for a month on a new tank. Should I be dosing now? If so, how much? Much of the blyxa and repens that was shipped melted and I am left with the stems now. May have to replace my blyxa, but my LFS never has it.