This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

ADA Malaya suitable for DSM?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by aquahob11, Feb 25, 2016.

1. aquahob11

aquahob11 Subscriber

Local Time:
    6:07 AM
    Hey,

I am trying to grow DHG using the dry start method. I'm curious if anyone knows or has had success using ADA Malaya substrate to do this. Is it high enough in ferts alone? All information and advice is greatly appreciated.

I started this on 2/14 and as of today only thing I've noticed is some yellowing here and there.

Thank you!

2. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I've never used Malaya but what is your humidity?

Last time i did a Dry start with DHG it required very high humidity or the leaves went yellow/brown and died off.

3. aquahob11

aquahob11 Subscriber

Local Time:
    Hi,

Honestly my hygrometer probably isn't the most accurate at this point but anywhere from 80-95%. I'm having a problem posting pictures.... I have a fairly large slope on the left side, the right side has just enough water that it is about to pool on top of the substrate( I just added that last night). I did not start with previously wet substrate and all I have been doing is spraying heavy with tap water and prime. I have not witnessed any sort of fungus growing so probably a good indicator that I can be more humid.

4. tefsom85

tefsom85 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When I did mine, I moistened the ADA AS and covered the tank with saran wrap with just a little opening for some air exchange. I also misted at least once a day to keep the plants moist. Worked well for me.

5. aquahob11

aquahob11 Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thank you for the information. I did not moisten to start, kind of wishing I did! I do however have one corner opened and 95% of the tank covered with saran.

I'm going to keep the tank as wet as possible without having the water build up and pool. I'm also going to purchase a new hygrometer tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for signs that I have too much humidity.

I'm also questioning my lighting (whether it's enough or not), eLos e lite 3s with 4 white led strips installed totaling 12 Cree leds ,so I still have space for 4 more strips. I have no idea what power they are producing. Sorry this is on a elos mini (20 gallon 17"x17"x16") aquarium. Also I'm not sure of the ambient temperature that a DSM should fall within. My last concern is whether or not the ADA Malaya has enough nutrients, I know Amazonia does but cannot find much info on Malaya other than it lacks from Amazonia.

Thanks again for the input!

6. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    10:07 PM
  7. aquahob11

aquahob11 Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks for that link, definitely provided some good insight. I'm going to give the tank a few more days of real high humidity and observe the DHG. If I don't start to see an improvement I'll probably try to spray some diluted ferts.

8. aquahob11

aquahob11 Subscriber

Local Time:
    Any advice on ferts? I have Seachem flourish on hand and I'm willing to get whatever I should use.

9. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Watered down was good for me but I just used tank water from my other tank, do you have another tank that you can take water from?

10. aquahob11

aquahob11 Subscriber

Local Time:
    Hmmm I do, it's an alligator snapping Turtle tank though. I can pretty much guarantee it's high in NO3 and PO4. I can run tests tomorrow though. I also used the majority of the ada line substrate additives(I know, I know lol) but I assume they are practically useless at the moment during DSM and 3" or so of substrate on top of them.