This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

ADA Grand Solar bulbs $100?!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by leonroy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. leonroy

leonroy Junior Poster
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:59 PM
    So I purchased two of these units a week ago. They're still yet to arrive so I figured I'd look at the price of ADA replacement bulbs...

$100!?
    [​IMG]

Was wondering if anyone knew whether:
    1. They're standard sized MH bulbs
    2. If there's something a helluva lot cheaper which will do the job as well or nearly as well?

2. DanielSev

DanielSev Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Well, I'm sure that ADA does not manufacture bulbs, thus they are to be standard. The worst case will be that they are of a size not marketed in your country. May be someone with that fixture will chime in.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Watergrass sold some 8000K to me, they seem similar to the eye.

About 80% less.

4. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi leonroy.

I buy my 150w bulbs from these guys: http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/the-Aquarium-Reef-Metal-Halide-cln-150-watt-HQI-DE/Categories

My philosophy is it's cheaper to buy a bunch of color temperatures, then see which ones you like most, then stock up on that temperature. I like those guys in the link because they have a ton of choices for color temps. I've been happy with my purchases. I have only been able to compare them to a used ADA bulb a buddy gave me, but I would not buy 1 ADA bulb for the price of 5 of these cheaper bulbs, fwiw.

[​IMG]

5. leonroy

leonroy Junior Poster
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the great links guys, I'll order some and compare with the bulbs the Solar unit comes with.