ADA Aquasoil Continual Cloudiness

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
I can think of two more reasons why AS works for some while it generates cloudiness and hazyness for others:
The constituents of AS vary from batch to batch and, secondly the water chemistry seems to interact strongly with AS.

Therefore planting dense from start-up is a wise decision.
Due to its NH4 adsorbing capacity I'd also run carbon a few days. It might also help in clearing the water column.

Your tank is prone to algae infestation if you're using too much light for too long a time now. Please get more plants soon! Also, there's very little oxygen produced. You should lift the spray bar above the water surface.

Regards, Detlef

DGalt

Prolific Poster
May 22, 2009
i'm going to put purigen in the filter, so hopefully that'll help with the excess ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. like I said, I have a bunch of plants coming (well, really just lots of dwarf sag and dwarf hairgrass). hopefully planting all of that will help.

thankfully no fish are in the tank

as for light, i only have it only for about 5 hours. the fixture is an old incandescent light strip that I have fitted with 4 x 10W bulbs. is that too much?

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Besides the sags and hairgrass you should plant many more fastgrowers in the background! Preferably stems like R. rotundifolia, Hygrophila or the like. Ceratopteris comes to mind also.

For the moment your lights should do no harm. But if you really want to grow plants stronger lighting and higher Kelvins is a necessity. For a 15g I'd chose 2x15watts t8.

Regards, Detlef

DGalt

Prolific Poster
May 22, 2009
this is not a high light tank. will mostly be anubias, crypts, and mosses along with the dwarf sag and hairgrass. mostly I switched to aquasoil because I wanted a decent dark substrate (I could have just easily gone with eco complete) so I could grow a nice carpet and both EC and Aquasoil are about the same shipped (nobody near me carries either). Figured I'd go with what most consider to be the best one for growing plants. I didn't get it because I wanted to do anything difficult (not that stems are difficult, just more of a hassle than I feel like dealing with right now).

also, the ratings on the bulbs are 6500, which I thought was about right for growing plants.

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said earlier on about your lighting. You seem to have equipped the "old incandescent light strip" with srew-in PC bulbs of 6500K. OK that's fine. Though more fast growers for the moment should help stabilizing the system a good deal.

Best regards, Detlef

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
4x10w over 15g? I'd call that high light. Try dropping down some. 6500k is just fine, appearance is more important than spectrum. I've seen white, blue, green, yellow, red and nearly pink light all do a good job growing plants; K ratings from 4500-10,000 and a little more.

Good seeing you here DGalt; welcome to the dark side. Our background is easier on the eyes.

-Philosophos

DGalt

Prolific Poster
May 22, 2009
I can't find any bulbs smaller than 10W, otherwise I'd definitely be around 30-35watts. I was just using 2x15 W for a while but I had too much light in the center of the tank and not enough on the sides, so I added 2 sockets to the light strip.

DGalt

Prolific Poster
May 22, 2009
Either Seachem Clarity is magical or aquasoil just decided to stop f'ing with me, but after 2 days of adding clarity the tank is crystal clear. don't understand it, but as long as it stays clear I don't really care lol ;)

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Ya, a chemical floculant would do the trick. Good thinking. I haven't used the stuff in ages my self.

-Philosophos