This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia - lowering too much water's ph

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by creativethinking, Nov 28, 2012.

1. creativethinking

creativethinking Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:45 PM
    Hello,

I would like to ask a question regarding the use of ADA Aqua Soil - Amazonia. I have created a layout using this soil and the water's ph drops very fast (after a water change for example) to an average of 6,5 (5KH). I'm also using a ph controller in order to supply CO2 in the water but I'm not sure how to set it up since I already have the ph a bit too small and the CO2 valve basically stays shut (off) all the time since I have set it to a value of 6,8-6,9. Adding substances into the water to raise the ph would not sort out the problem since their effect is temporary and can create spikes in ph values, shifts that might prove harmfull for the shrimps or fishes.

Any advices? Do you know if it's possible that the effect on the water will lower in the next weeks of the initial setup? Thanks!

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Eventually the effect will get less, but that might take months. This soil makes a pH controller useless, because the pH drop is no longer related to CO2 ppm's. The only way is to run your CO2 without the controller, like an unregulated system, until it stabilizes. A dropchecker might help you to get enough CO2 in the tank. The drop checker is by design not influenced by pH decreasing substances in the water.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Set the CO2 rate of bubbles to match the pH controller's function immediately after the water change, say after 2 hours of running.
    Then remove the control function and watch the plants and fish closely.
    Do NOT wander off doing errands for the rest of the day, be around so you can adjust it down or up as needed.

Also, I do it this way myself: I start with what I know generally as to a bubble rate for most tanks I set up, this is learned with experience only really.
    Then I tweak little by little till the plants are growing really well. Then I check with shrimp that it is non lethal etc.

This slow progressive method seems to work best for me over the years.

But you need to know what good excellent growth looks like, be patient and careful, and many hobbyist are none of those things:)

4. creativethinking

creativethinking Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I really appreciate your answers, thanks a lot! I will observe the plants and shrimps closely and do small changes to the co2 injected as suggested.