This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

ADA and EI

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by ame, Nov 29, 2008.

1. ame

ame Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:28 PM
    Dear All

I intend to use Aquasoil Amazonia for my 100gal planted tank.Lighting will be 2WPG -4 HO TH (54W),Pressurized CO2,AM 1000 reactor with EHEIM Compact + 3000 Pump.

As per the ADA set up manual , apart from the substrate one needs to add 1.Power sand ,2. Penac P, 3.Penac W, 4.Bacter 100,5.Clear super,6.Tourmaline BC.

I read Toms reply about Powersand -" It's no trouble for me to dose a little KNO3 in any ADA system set up because you have to dose Traces, K+ anyway
    Adding one more thing, say KNO3 instead of brighty K, which is just K+, I do not have to do anything and save myself $, aesthetics and replanting issues, and get the same results if not better."

Thanks Tom for explaining that. How about the rest of fancy names in the setup list ?

For maintenance of tanks one needs to add 1.Green Gain, 2.Green Bacter, 3.ECA ,4.Phyton Git ,5. Brighty K and 6 .Step 1/2/3.

This would make a 100 gal planted tank maintenance a recurring high cost .EI has been a proven and better method for years.
    I have used EI with CO2 with very good results-- the substrate was laterite and sand.

But with ADA substrate and EI ,I am worried as fellow hobbyist have faced algae and the opinion seems to be NOT doing EI with ADA substrate.

Hope experienced members will share their knowledge and clear the confusion.

Regards.

Ame

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi ame,

EI will dose the water column with ferts. The AS will supply substrate nutes. Since plants can take nutrients from either the substrate or the water column, using EI and AS is a good combo.

Many folks (including Tom) have used ADA and EI with no issues.

3. ame

ame Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Dear Gerryd

Thanks for your response.

Will anyone share their view on the following for set up:- 2. Penac P, 3.Penac W, 4.Bacter 100,5.Clear super,6.Tourmaline BC ?

Thanks in advance.

ame

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It is highly doubtful that any of those listed "ingredients" will do major harm to the plants or fish. So, if you have nothing else to spend money on, this could be a way to say thanks to Amano for all of the good work he has done to advance the hobby of aquascaping.

5. ame

ame Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Dear VaughnH

Very well said :)

ame

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Stay away from items 2, 3 and 6.
    Bacter and super lear are pretty much like most bacteria and clarifying agents.

I'd say Marineland's bio bacteria product is the best on the market, I think Tim is about the best researcher for those critters in the industry.

If you have another aquarium or filter, or access to either, you can use the "dirt" from that to seed the new aquarium, as well as any water from those tanks.

This will do what the Bacter and the Super clear will do.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. ame

ame Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hello Tom

Thanks for clearing the confusion.

Appreciate your help.

Regards

Ame