ADA and EI

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Dear All

I intend to use Aquasoil Amazonia for my 100gal planted tank.Lighting will be 2WPG -4 HO TH (54W),Pressurized CO2,AM 1000 reactor with EHEIM Compact + 3000 Pump.

As per the ADA set up manual , apart from the substrate one needs to add 1.Power sand ,2. Penac P, 3.Penac W, 4.Bacter 100,5.Clear super,6.Tourmaline BC.

I read Toms reply about Powersand -" It's no trouble for me to dose a little KNO3 in any ADA system set up because you have to dose Traces, K+ anyway
Adding one more thing, say KNO3 instead of brighty K, which is just K+, I do not have to do anything and save myself $, aesthetics and replanting issues, and get the same results if not better."

Thanks Tom for explaining that. How about the rest of fancy names in the setup list ?

For maintenance of tanks one needs to add 1.Green Gain, 2.Green Bacter, 3.ECA ,4.Phyton Git ,5. Brighty K and 6 .Step 1/2/3.

This would make a 100 gal planted tank maintenance a recurring high cost .EI has been a proven and better method for years.
I have used EI with CO2 with very good results-- the substrate was laterite and sand.

But with ADA substrate and EI ,I am worried as fellow hobbyist have faced algae and the opinion seems to be NOT doing EI with ADA substrate.

Hope experienced members will share their knowledge and clear the confusion.

Regards.

Ame

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi ame,

EI will dose the water column with ferts. The AS will supply substrate nutes. Since plants can take nutrients from either the substrate or the water column, using EI and AS is a good combo.

Many folks (including Tom) have used ADA and EI with no issues.

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Dear Gerryd

Thanks for your response.

Will anyone share their view on the following for set up:- 2. Penac P, 3.Penac W, 4.Bacter 100,5.Clear super,6.Tourmaline BC ?

Thanks in advance.

ame

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
It is highly doubtful that any of those listed "ingredients" will do major harm to the plants or fish. So, if you have nothing else to spend money on, this could be a way to say thanks to Amano for all of the good work he has done to advance the hobby of aquascaping.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
ame;31324 said:
Dear Gerryd

Thanks for your response.

Will anyone share their view on the following for set up:- 2. Penac P, 3.Penac W, 4.Bacter 100,5.Clear super,6.Tourmaline BC ?

Thanks in advance.

ame

Stay away from items 2, 3 and 6.
Bacter and super lear are pretty much like most bacteria and clarifying agents.

I'd say Marineland's bio bacteria product is the best on the market, I think Tim is about the best researcher for those critters in the industry.

If you have another aquarium or filter, or access to either, you can use the "dirt" from that to seed the new aquarium, as well as any water from those tanks.

This will do what the Bacter and the Super clear will do.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ame

Junior Poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hello Tom

Thanks for clearing the confusion.

Appreciate your help.

Regards

Ame