This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

ADA amazonia with hard water

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by filipem, Aug 15, 2008.

1. filipem

filipem Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    3:52 AM
    I understand that this substrate lowers PH,KH/GH. I have very hard water and I was thinking about buying some of this soil, but I have one question. How do you change the water without causing harm to the fish? I would imagine that a wild KH/GH swing once a week can't be good for the fish. I use tap water without any RO/DI water.

2. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I think others will agree, im sure that the swing cannot be that drastic, most of the folks here with soft water dose gh booster and fish are fine. So going from harder to softer should be ok. Also looking around i did not see any posts where ada lowered hardness, where did you find that info?

3. filipem

filipem Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Ok thanks, I guess the drop in hardness is not that great.

Here is the link where I read about aquasoil dropping the kh in the water

Aqua Soil Substrate

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think most of us see KH as being alkaliniity (ppm of carbonates) and GH being hardness. Apparently Aquasoil does lower the alkalinity, but I don't know how much.

5. filipem

filipem Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks VaughnH.