This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

ADA Amazonia New Substrate - my brief experience so far

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by Gerryd, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10:40 AM
    Hi all,

As some of you may know, I used ADA substrate for the first time in my 220 gal. I purchased the Amazonia 'new' type and wanted to post my experience with it so far. It will be in use for 1 year the end of August this year, so approx 10 months old.

1. I really like the look. It is a very attractive substrate and gets positive comments from all who see it.
    2. It does produce a large dust cloud based on how much uprooting you are doing. I combine this with large water changes so most is siphoned out.
    3. I get good root growth on any species placed in the ADA. So, at least I can say it is not detrimental to it :) Seriously, it seems to produce better growth than I had with SIMILAR setup using basic flourite.
    4. Is easy to work with, always keeping #2 in mind :)

I can't say much more than that, as I am still working out my gardening skills, so is not fair to fault the substrate. I cannot really give a better impression other than this until I work out my own c02./growth issues lol

That said, I do like it, does not seem to cause any issues whatsoever. Is it overpriced? Most likely but am glad I got it and the experiece so far in working with it is positive.

Just to counter some of the scary web stories re: ADA new type.

Later

2. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Check out my thread for my 'hate' story against the new amazonia. It is totally useless in scape tanks. The cloudiness (even if you uproot just a little) is a nightmare.
    p.s. even though emptying my tank, and rinsing the entire 80 liters i have took out most of the dust (5 liters!!) it still is cloudy...

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    If you do the traditional dutch method of uprooting and replanting fresh tops , then it's not that good.
    I do this a fair amount in my 120 Gal, but you see the haze factor.

Still, if I leave things alone for a week, the haze is entirely gone and I do water change AFTER the trimming/uprooting generally, I also only do maybe a 5-10% area uprooting.

With Seachem black flourite sand, I can do much more uprooting.

Still, the look and larger grain size is nice and the ADA As will never scratch my glass either.

4. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When I uproot and/or rearrange plants in my tanks, with topsoil under 2mm - 3mm gravel, I run a small HOB filter for about an hour and the little cloudiness disappears.

Bill

5. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    4:40 AM
    Due to all of these issues I love the mr aqua stuff. Does not scratch glass like as. Does not cloud a tank when disturbed .. It is true black. Promoted great root structure and can grow blyxia in a non co2 tank at 20 to 25 par and red tiger lotuses.

I sell the flourite for use in the first 1.5 inches unrinsed and top off With the mr aqua. Tom you should really try this stuff some day. They make it in two granule sizes.

Henry tomassini
    www.theplantedaquariumstore.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. fplata

fplata Member

Local Time:
    Henry, I do not think as will scratch your glass, I think Tom was talking about the fluorite being the culprit for scratching glass.

7. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    4:40 AM
    if you get it between a magnet cleaner and your glass it will. (idiot me)

8. jcgd

jcgd Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    My experience with ADA AS new and the clouding isn't nearly as bad as you guys describe. I rarely do water changes after uprooting, even moderate amounts because they are usually on the fly when I've been doing some general maintenance and get in the mood. I do notice a dust cloud as I pull plants, but it quickly clears. I don't notice any cloudiness after an hour or so. I like this aspect.

I've also noticed good plant growth but the only issue I see with it is how light weight it is. The stuff is great to plant in when the dirt is wet, but the tank is empty of water. Once you are planting under water it is a major pain. This is my only issue though, besides that I love this stuff and absolutely recommend it.

9. Aquadream

Aquadream Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I know this is an old tread, but I recently have the most unbelievable nightmare with New Amazonia that i have purchased last year.
    For over two and a half months I can not get the tank stable and to start producing proper plant growth. All plants in my last scape either die off or barely exist.
    As last resort to escape this hell I have purchased all ADA ferts and additives, but that did not help either.
    After 30 years in this hobby and some good results with aquascapes that did well in IAPLC I am completely beaten by this substrate crap.

Every plant I used was growing well for the first 10 days and then suddenly all goes to hell no matter what.

And just for the record.
    The one thing that I have changed in my tank since my last IAPLC2012 #69 scape was the substrate. Everything else is as it always was.

I did use to have some minor issues with Amazonia before, but now I really begin to hate this overpriced crap.

I seriously intend to return to the good old quartz gravel with which I have almost total control of nutrient balance and no stupid surprises of any kind.

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I've torn down larger tanks due to some issues, mostly cloudy water, fish disturbing it etc, but I've heard a few examples/cases like yours.
    CO2 mist seems to keep the cloudiness issue going on and on.
    Removing that took care of many issues.

Rescaping larger tanks, finding ample suppliers/regular supply has been issue for several folks, myself included.

I am looking at the UP AQUA brand as I've had good experience with it.

11. Aquadream

Aquadream Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    One week after 2 e-mails to ADA.. No answer at all.
    I seems that I will be forced to go for detailed laboratory analysis that is going to cost me some money and then spread it all over the internet.
    I am really unhappy for getting this treatment.
    The last think I did was purchasing from Green Aqua all of the ADA ferts and additives for a beginning stage of a Amazonia set up hoping that they will help.
    NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL.
    This disaster have cost me 300 Euros more for new plants and ADA ferts and additives and it is all the same almost 3 months after initial start.
    Please if anyone had any similar problem share some info about solution if there is any different from another start up.

12. Marcel G

Marcel G Banned

Local Time:
    I plan to go for laboratory analysis of ADA Amazonia New (together with other kinds of substrates), so if you think you save some money by it, you can send me 1L of your ADA substrate, and I'll pay for the analysis. But this way you have to pay for postage to Europe. If you are interested, just let me know via PM.

13. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    You can compared it the analysis we did here in the USA(See the BR newsletter).

That was the older stuff, and then we have a 18 month sample point.

14. Petex

Petex Member

Local Time:
    I had a similar issue with Amazonia New - and ok - not with all plants, but with some plants.
    I was complettly unable to grow Elatines, some Rotalas, some Limnophilias in my Amazonia New. The plants where mostly doing fine for 5-9days and then they suddenly died (overnight), some plants got new and healty looking leafs - but they again died after several days and so and so on. I first thought: Ok, the soil is fresh and wait and see what happens after doing large waterchanges, unfortunatly 4month doing this and that hasn´t helped anything.
    Never had such strange issues in past with any other Soils.
    At last I removed the Amazonia New stuff and all problems were gone.

I also think this soil is too light weight, the dust also disturbed me a lot (if uprooting)

#14 Petex, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  15. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    So far I'm not having any issue with New Amazonia Aqua Soil, except for the fact that ADA seems to have added charcoal or carbon to the mix, which would account for the dust that floats to the surface after filling for the first time. I think they did this because of blackwater conditions they were producing with Amazonia 2 LoL. Not sure the carbon/charcoal is causing the dust, but it sure looks like it. Plus the New Amazonia is darker than the old original stuff. I've done two or three major rescapes with the inhabitants still in the tank (I mean moving large rocks and uprooting). A few good water changes, and I'm back in business. I've also been able to keep a slope.

But, I've been running my tank with New Amazonia since November 2011, and the plants are still growing healthy.

#15 Matt F., May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  16. Socket

Socket Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I can say, the largest detractor for me is availability...My LFS is a big dealer of "reality" and carry high quality stuff; including the UP! Aqua substrate, and the new brightwell substrate people are hyped over.

I still went with amazonia new, because it's proven for me at this point. I couldn't get powder for my newest setup, and I am "paying" for it...I 2-3 times a week am replanting stourgen because my corys have dug it up so easily.