This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ada 60-p First Time Iwagumi Attempt.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Mark Y, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Mark Y

Mark Y Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:55 AM
    This is my first attempt at an iwagumi style tank. It's been up for about a month and it's stocked with...

Flora-Dwarf Hairgrass, Giant Hairgrass, S. Repens, and some flame moss.
    Fauna-Red Rili and Amano shrimp.

The hardscape is maple rock.

Substrate-UpAqua sand over Eco-Complete.

Technical Details...

Co2- Pressurized through a ceramic diffuser at 1-2 BPS.

Light-AI prime freshwater at 80% output all channels currently.

Filtration-Hydor Pro 150.

Ferts- Dry KNO3, K2SO4, and Plantex CSM+B dissolved in 500m bottles using distilled water.

Issues- So far diatoms and filamentous stuff as you'll see in the pics. I've been having to remove large amounts of it about every 3 days and then water change. The light is about 20 inches from the substrate. To try and control the stuff I went from 8 hours at 95% output initially to 6 hours on time and 80% output. I've also put some Phosguard in the canister. I hope it starts to recede.:(

Overall the hairgrass is sending out runners and the repens is growing. I've been very lean on dosing due to the algae issues.

TankShot1.jpg

TankShot2.jpg

TankShot3.jpg

TankShot4.jpg

karel.brits and Phishless like this.
  2. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:55 PM
    Do 50 % water changes each 2 days for 1 month , clean the algae manually , add more co2 ,move the co2 diffuser in the direction of the outflow of the filter , fill the tank up with water .
    Don't rely on the drop checker colour , it can fool you about co2 levels in the tank
    I think you have too much surface agitation and your co2 is going out too fast from the tank because is not filled up with water , your outflow should be under water .not as it is now

3. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    2:55 PM
    Hi Mark Y,

interesting approach on iwagumi style but your plants seem to be suffering a lot. From the images and from your description I see a very severe PO4 deficiency. If you are dosing the N, K and traces you also need to dose P. Plants need P from PO4 to grow. Otherwise you will see something similar to what you see now, dead old tissue, limited growth and algae issues. I would also strongly recommend removing Phosguard from your filter. It is one of the best way to kill all plants in the aquarium.

The reduction in light duration and output is a good step. Given the plant selection I would suggesting going even lower to reduce the stress on the starving plants. This will also give you the opportunity to figure out the CO2. 1-2bps may be too little. I would suggest getting a pH pen and monitoring the pH drop during the day and report back.

It might also help you until you get a starting point to have a fast growing stem sp. like Egeria, Hygrophilla polysperma or even Rotala rotundifolia

Diatoms can grown in very low light levels and at very low nutrient levels.

Main point would be focus on growing healthy plants not running away from algae.

Mark Y likes this.
  4. Mark Y

Mark Y Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for your reply. I took the pics during a break from cleaning. I usually have the water level about 1/2 in inch from the top of the tank. I will indeed make sure to keep the outflow towards the diffuser.

5. Mark Y

Mark Y Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for your help and the tip on the Phosguard. I was planning to remove it after 4 days which would be tomorrow. It's curious how many people swear by that stuff to fight diatoms. I don't have a pH pen but I do have the the liquid tests. I'll get some readings using that for now until I can get a pen.
    I'll get on the PO4 right away! How careless of me to leave it out. Thanks again for your insights and taking time to reply.

6. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I agree with @Allwissend and say ditch the Phosguard and dose some PO4.

Every tank I set up is always dosed to the 10:1 ratio of NO3 to PO4
    High or low tech I keep this ratio intact.

karel.brits likes this.
  7. Mark Y

Mark Y Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I just wanted to give an update on my tank. I've been very busy and got the flu a month ago which really sucked so I wan't really doing much on the web. Anyway the tank is doing well. I had a serious fight with Rhizo, lots of Rhizo, but after LOTS of maintenance and dialing in CO2 it's gone. I also added a small power head to help flow. I had to trim back most of the plants quite a bit to get the infected leaves off. I also removed and thinned the hairgrass considerably. It's amazing how easy Rhizo can cling to everything when it's disturbed. I also added a stem plant (Euseralis Stellata) and some Bucephalandra on the rocks.
    The fish and shrimp seem to be doing very well, with the shrimp breeding like crazy over the last month. Overall the plants are growing now and are looking healthy.

_DSC1043.jpg

8. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:55 PM
    Remove that power head , you don't need so much flow , and add more water to the tank , starts looking nice

9. Mark Y

Mark Y Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks skija. The tank of indeed looking better. I'll try removing the power head for a week and see if there are any negative results. As for the water level it's topped off now that I've done my weekly water change.