A sad day yesterday

fosteder

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2005
Rochester, NH
Well I unfortunately had to euthanize a fish last night. He was a Julii cat and one of the last of my fish that I was really attached to. :eek:

I DO have an excuse for being attached to a fish. My sister gave him to me when I was in High School. I'm not sure about the year but I was between 16 and 18. I'm 27 now. That's right, my Julii Cat was somewhere around 10 years old! I had been calling him Keith Richards, due to the old rockers ability at hanging on to life no matter what he put his body through. :D So hurray for Keith...he was a great fish!

Feel free to add any stories of your own....

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Re: A sad day yesterday

Back in '81, a friend had brought several pairs of velifera mollies from Guatemala to Portland OR and gave me 2 pairs to raise. Beautiful fish, the 2
males had ginormous dorsals and I placed a pair each in 2 old 40gallon Metaframe tanks that had dual lighting: (2) 25w incandescent grolite, and a 30w fluorescent "for aquariums" back then. Anyhoo, the combination lighting rilly lit up the electric blue dots of their fins and body. In '82 I was going thru
divorce #1 of 3 and joined the navy. I gave all my stuff and fish to 2 friends
before I left for San Diego. Sure miss those fish....thanks for making me feel
melancholy and sad :p

Bill

ps never got quite the impressive finnage of the fathers in the males I
raised, even when I raised the salinity to full brackish.

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK

It's almost inevitable that you will have an attachment to some of your fish, catfish in particular as they are long lived. I've a Synodontis Eupteris cat that is heading into it's 17th year, recently it pigged out on cucumber and was quite ill for a few days, I was very concerned and cared for it like one of my family.

Ian

GreenStuff

Prolific Poster
Feb 11, 2005
Canada

Sorry to hear about Keith. I'm sure you gave him a good life.

About 10 years ago when I first got into fish keeping, I (stupidly) bought an angel fish at Walmart. I felt sorry for it because it had no fins. ....and I mean NO fins. It was just a dime waddling in a tank full of mates. I called him Wally. :eek:

That's when I went online and started finding more information about fish keeping. Wally lived for 5 years and was then given to a fellow, who for all I know, may still have him. His fins never did grow back entirely. Once he was fully grown he looked like a siver dollar. Turned out to be a vey fast swimmer and mean ol' b*gger too.