A Primer for Pressurized CO2

C

csmith

VTS253A on my 20 Gallon

RegulatorVictorVTS253A.jpg

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
(Sorry for the duplicate cross posting but someone requested I put this here also.)

Finally got my bubble counter from the opposite side of the Earth. Time to show off my creation:

$62 - Concoa 312-2331 regulator
$17 - two Micro gauges
$18 - Parker solenoid valve
$45 - Swagelock B-2MA2 metering valve
$18 - JBJ / Aquamagic bubble counter.
$20 - Brass fittings
================
$180

If you add in:
$120 pH controller (& ORP monitor)
$07 - PVC braided tubing
$60 - 15lb empty CO2 tank
$23 - CO2 tank fill-up
$29 - Parker 2M-C2L-1/3-SS stainless check valve
================
$239

That's about $420 grand total (including shipping) for an up-and-running, kick-ass CO2 system. That's over $100 less then the best system offered by GLA and that would be a single stage reg & 10lb CO2 tank. Ebay rocks!

P1012897.jpg

P1012894.jpg

S&KGray

Guru Class Expert
Nov 18, 2009
Garden Island
Matheson Model 8, Asco 8262 brass solenoid valve, Swagelok B-4MA
(recently sold this setup)

Concoa 412, Skinner B series SS solenoid valve, Swagelok B-4MA
(just put together, pics taken while testing)

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
Nicely done! You should take a buffing wheel and some polish to that Concoa 412. She'd be a real trophy girl.

Mike1971

Junior Poster
Apr 19, 2010
I have only been doing planted tanks for about 4 months. I built this set up for around $125.00 and $80.00 for a 5lb. tank. If I may give advice as a newbie I would say research as much as you can before you buy something. I have replaced everything from my original setup (substrate, lights, filter, CO2 injection, power head) from buying things quickly without researching. Now that I am at good steady CO2 levels, good circulation, and 2wpg of light with EI dosing, I have very few problems and just focus on how my plants look. The people who post in the "Duel stage regulator thread" are incredibly helpful and friendly. When I start my next tank, the first thing I will do is build another quality CO2 delivery system before anything else.

0112.jpg

herns

Guru Class Expert
Jul 29, 2007
The United States of America
Mike1971;51347 said:
I have only been doing planted tanks for about 4 months. I built this set up for around $125.00 and $80.00 for a 5lb. tank. If I may give advice as a newbie I would say research as much as you can before you buy something. I have replaced everything from my original setup (substrate, lights, filter, CO2 injection, power head) from buying things quickly without researching. Now that I am at good steady CO2 levels, good circulation, and 2wpg of light with EI dosing, I have very few problems and just focus on how my plants look. The people who post in the "Duel stage regulator thread" are incredibly helpful and friendly. When I start my next tank, the first thing I will do is build another quality CO2 delivery system before anything else.

0112.jpg

I like that JBJ bc being mounted on top of Ideal V.

yikesjason

Junior Poster
Aug 28, 2009
I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring with my favorite co2 build.

img0436z.jpg

And here is my first dual stage build from just this week.
img0065fb.jpg

S&KGray

Guru Class Expert
Nov 18, 2009
Garden Island
yikesjason;51681 said:
I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring with my favorite co2 build.

And here is my first dual stage build from just this week.

Very nice! What is the brand and model of the dual stage regulator?

yikesjason

Junior Poster
Aug 28, 2009
S&KGray;51682 said:
Very nice! What is the brand and model of the dual stage regulator?

I never did figure out for sure. It was on a medical blood gas cylinder and had a label that said it was manufactured for Bayer. I built this for someone else and already shipped it, so I can't even tell you what other info was on there because I didn't write it down. It was a very nice regulator.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
005.jpg

007-1.jpg

Have to wait another day to fill up the co2 tanks due to the blizzard in NYC but, I have everything else ready to finally start using co2 in my 3 tanks. Can't wait:)
Fabco NV55 goes with this set ups.
da5c00ca-9a3d-4099-96eb-dbb3af4b8e8f_339x568r0.jpg

Many thanks to a TPT member who did this for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
005.jpg

Switch that solenoid around. You have it in the wrong direction, which could cause leaks.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
barbarossa4122;59988 said:
007-1.jpg

Many thanks to a TPT member who did this for me.
We can't tell if you have the Burkert solenoid on this one mounted in the correct direction.

The solenoid is marked with a "P" and an "A" on one of its sides. The NPT port closest to the "P" mark is the solenoid's input from the regulator. And the NPT port closest to the "N" mark is the solenoid's output where the needle valve assembly attaches.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Matt F.;60026 said:
005.jpg

Switch that solenoid around. You have it in the wrong direction, which could cause leaks.

OK. But, I was told that it was tested and it worked. I'll switch it if I must.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Left C;60029 said:
We can't tell if you have the Burkert solenoid on this one mounted in the correct direction.

The solenoid is marked with a "P" and an "A" on one of its sides. The NPT port closest to the "P" mark is the solenoid's input from the regulator. And the NPT port closest to the "N" mark is the solenoid's output where the needle valve assembly attaches.
007-1.jpg

I think this one needs to be switch around also. Again, I read Matt's thread about the flow direction the other day and I did notice that mine are installed in the "wrong" direction but again, I was told they were tested and they work. I am not arguing this, just state the facts. I'll switch them around, no problem but, is there a chance that they will not leak.
Btw, I knew someone will mention this sooner or later.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Left C;60029 said:

007-1.jpg

As you look at this picture, on the other side "A" is to the right close to the regulator and "P" is to the left further away from the regulator. Is this correct ?

Edit:
This is the pic of the other side:
010.jpg