A Primer for Pressurized CO2

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
just put a dab on the threads (maybe half a pea size dap) and spread it around the lower threads (those that will make contact with the female threads).

For teh pressure gauge, I would use teflon tape. non hardening thread sealer is okay if you don't have teflon tape.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Matt F.;60059 said:
just put a dab on the threads (maybe half a pea size dap) and spread it around the lower threads (those that will make contact with the female threads).

For teh pressure gauge, I would use teflon tape. non hardening thread sealer is okay if you don't have teflon tape.

Got it. Thanks Matt.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
This is what I did and I hope I did it the right way.

this is the compound i used

020.jpg

If I did this right, I'll start working on the other one, the Victor.

Last edited by a moderator:

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
These are the correct pics after the switch around. Please let me know what you think.

The front of the regulator:

023.jpg

The back of the regulator:

022-1.jpg

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Left C;60021 said:
Hi barbbarossa

You built some nice regulators!!

Left C

Lol, I did not but, in a way I did since as you already know I had to take them apart to switch the solenoid around. It's fine, I learned something. :)
Waiting for the diffusers, fill up the tanks and I am ready to go by the end of this week, I hope.
Heck, wife was making fun of me this morning when I was working on this. She never saw me doing "manual" labor.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
barbarossa4122;60072 said:
Lol, I did not but, in a way I did since as you already know I had to take them apart to switch the solenoid around. It's fine, I learned something. :)
Waiting for the diffusers, fill up the tanks and I am ready to go by the end of this week, I hope.
Heck, wife was making fun of me this morning when I was working on this. She never saw me doing "manual" labor.
The answer is yes, that's correct, that's the correct stuff, etc to your questions.

You should of built them yourself. That way she could laugh at you for putting them together wrong. Haha!!!

Didn't I tell you that the "P" side is the input side for the solenoid and the "A" side is for the needle valve? I am thinking that I did, but maybe I didn't.

You should be glad that Matt caught this before you emptied two CO2 cylinders in only a few days.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Left C;60087 said:
The answer is yes, that's correct, that's the correct stuff, etc to your questions.

You should of built them yourself. That way she could laugh at you for putting them together wrong. Haha!!!

Didn't I tell you that the "P" side is the input side for the solenoid and the "A" side is for the needle valve? I am thinking that I did, but maybe I didn't.

You should be glad that Matt caught this before you emptied two CO2 cylinders in only a few days.

Lol! I did not post the pics for that reason but, I remembered Matt's instructions and it cross my mind that I could have a problem. Then, in the morning I saw Matt's post pointing out the mistakes. Thanks a lot Matt.

Left C maybe you did tell me but, it's hard for me to remember and I can't even check your past Pms b/c I deleted them. Chances are that you did.
I wonder how many ppl do know about this little trick with the Burkert solenoid. Not many, I reckon. Eh, water under the bridge now. Everything turned out OK thanks to you guys and this forum. Oh, and the Burkert folks.
My wife is very handy but, she doesn't have too much time to spare between her job and her studying for the master degree.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hi Darkblade,

I am looking at your bubble counter from your pics and I see that it is not completely filled.
This is the bubble counter I'll be using:
ista-bubble-counter2_sm.jpg

Do I have to fill it completely with glycerine or water ?

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Hi,
Another Q please: It's OK to store a filled 5lb co2 cylinder in horizontal position ?

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
First, before opening your CO2 cylinder, ensure that the front knob on the regulator is turned counter clockwise until you feel little to no resistance. This ensures that you will not destroy your low pressure gauge when you first open the CO2 tank (many people have done this!)

Does this mean to turn the knob counter clockwise all the way ?

darkoon

Prolific Poster
Jul 12, 2010
barbarossa4122;60505 said:
Hi,
Another Q please: It's OK to store a filled 5lb co2 cylinder in horizontal position ?

You can store it in horizontal position, but you should not use it in horizontal position, it's mostly liquidfied CO2 in a fully-filled cylinder.

darkoon

Prolific Poster
Jul 12, 2010
barbarossa4122;60556 said:
Does this mean to turn the knob counter clockwise all the way ?

yes.
though the high quality regulators are usually fine even if you have a preset output pressure. the cheap one will get destroyed for sure. I blew my Milwaukee one that way, and that's how I started learning about 2-stage regulators.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Do you folks like the Matheson 3122-346 ? I found an used one for a decent price. It's not from Ebay, it's from a trusted member from another forum.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Thanks for the in depth run down, I may "borrow" some of this for the upcoming book.

150EH

Junior Poster
Apr 29, 2011
Churchton, MD
I've seen a lot of very good gear in this thread and I think there are some new options that might be mentioned. AP.com has a new regulator that is electronic and controls the bubble count and bubble size without a solenoid, it still uses a high and low pressure gauge but the amount dispensed is very accurate. I am equally impressed with their external reactor which I started using with an old Dupla 400 regulator (low pressure gauge only, but needle tuning is very fine) at a slow 1 bps to achieve 25.2 ppm CO2 in the water column of a 150 gallon tank, I think the design of this reator makes it very efficient and it is great for larger tanks. Although these items are not for the hobbiest that prefers to build their own gear it is great for us folks that like easy automation.