This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

A More Economic Trace Without Copper?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by CaptMicha, Oct 26, 2018.

1. CaptMicha

CaptMicha New Member

Local Time:
    12:15 AM
    I know that the small amounts in CSM+B (Nutritrace, I think it's called here) shouldn't have toxic levels (I've done my research) and it's chelated at that (I think), BUT I'm paranoid and would prefer to just avoid dosing copper. This isn't something that I can just chill about bc it's just getting to me.

That being said, where do you find an economically priced trace without copper?!

The liquids I see recommended on shrimp places cost more than an entire Macro and micro package! And for not nearly as much since you're buying it in liquid. If I have a 10 gallon for each of my different shrimps, that's going to be ridiculous.

Someone's got to make a cheaper dry stock without copper and with chelated iron?

And if I add 1 mL of Excel/glut to my 250mL liquid stock to keep away mold, is that going to be safe for the shrimp? Or should I use a different preservative? Refrigeration isn't an option. Btw, the Excel isn't really doing what I need it to do. My macro and micro smell fermented and have white pieces floating in it. Should I use HCL and how much? Would that be safe for sensitive inverts? Or should I use a different preservative, and how much? My well water is 6.5 ph (I think I'm remembering, I have it written somewhere), so I don't want to acidify it.

Btw, I do PPS-Pro and not EI because it's just easier for me with my erratic health and lack of a schedule. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    11:15 PM
    Well you need to "acidify" the solution you're mixing the ferts in, primarily to keep micro nutrients stable. This has no real effect on the tank water.

Try distilled white vinegar (from the grocery store made for cooking) at 10 ml per 500 ml of solution. If that dont work try 20 ml.

If it still molds with vinegar, try acorbic acid at .5 grams per 500 ml.

If it still molds with that use potassium sorbate at .2 gram per 500 ml. It wont mold with potassium sorbate. But you'll still need one of the above acids to set the PH.

KeeperOfASilentWorld likes this.
  3. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    11:15 PM
    To my knowledge there is no economical micro product that doesnt have copper. Anything like that will be premixed aquarium brand liquids, which as you mentioned arent so cheap.

Either way, dosing ppsp should not add enough Cu to bother shrimp. Especially the newest version which was amended a couple years ago to have lower micros.

KeeperOfASilentWorld likes this.
Tags: