A Man With A Mission

UnderwaterScubaMiner

Junior Poster
Dec 1, 2013
Central Arkansas
I could really use some help here. I have been absolutely itching to start a planted aquarium, but I could really use some step by step advice as to how to start it. I've been doing some research and I've come to the conclusion that I want to do a low-light aquarium without CO2.

Currently, I have a fully established long 50 gallon and it is currently filled with colorful blue gravel and some fake plants. I have fish in there too that I want to keep around. They are all pretty simple fresh-water schooling fish from PetSmart and such and there's nothing too big in there as well. I don't have an algae eater, but I wouldn't mind getting one if I had to. I have a heater, an air pump, and an Emperor 400 for a filter. (Picture Below)

Well anyways, I've seen how awesome planted tanks look (even the simple ones) and I've decided that's what I want to do. The plan was for me to put all my current fish in a 10 gallon for awhile and change out the substrate and get the plants ready on my 50 gal.

So the bottom line is, I could really use a specific list of supplies that I am going to need and a link to where I could order whatever it is and then step by step instructions on how to get it up and running(also, it would be nice if I could get some advice as to maintenance as well). This would be a huge favor and thank you in advance. P.S. Try to be as specific as possible, I"m pretty new to this

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I would suggest spending some time browsing the sub forum named 'Non c02 Methods' and then come back with some questions. I realize you are new to this, but you are asking for a lot of specific info here.

You can also swap SOME of the gravel out over a couple of weeks. You can do 50% and then 2 weeks later do the rest. You need to do a lot of water changes to ensure the health of the fish. This is because the new substrate will cause a cycle. Adding extra sponges NOW will allow time for them to get populated with bacteria and will help reduce nh4.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I would suggest spending some time browsing the sub forum named 'Non c02 Methods' and then come back with some questions. I realize you are new to this, but you are asking for a lot of specific info here.

You can also swap SOME of the gravel out over a couple of weeks. You can do 50% and then 2 weeks later do the rest. You need to do a lot of water changes to ensure the health of the fish. This is because the new substrate will cause a cycle. Adding extra sponges NOW will allow time for them to get populated with bacteria and will help reduce nh4.