This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

A help request from the UK

Discussion in 'UK Aquatic Plant Society' started by Tiago Nicolau, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    11:17 AM
    Hello guys,

Since UK comes nearer than the US for me in Portugal, is there anyone that could help me crafting the dual venturi external co2 reactor?

I have no means of making one since im from the islands and home depot here is limited on material and way overpriced (pvc tube is 30 euros!)
    If anyone here would like to help me crafting one and send to me, with all costs covered of course, please tell me,

I loved the idea of this reactor but not having anywere to buy the pieces breaks me :/

best regards

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    In the USSR in the past, I recall some creative aquarist making UV's, they had a lot of issues, but got it done, you might use the idea, but see what other other cost sensitive scraps you can find around the island.
    I scavenge very well, I was homeless many years ago but never had to beg, I was able to find a lot of unused items to sell and recycle. I'm sure various places, dumpsters etc, might have some pipe or scraps and you might need to buy a few items, but a lot you likely can get for free, ask around also.
    The worse they will say is no, sorry.

ANYTHING imported to islands cost a lot more $$$.
    If you have an old canister filter etc, anything can be used that will hold water.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    In the USSR in the past, I recall some creative aquarist making UV's, they had a lot of issues, but got it done, you might use the idea, but see what other other cost sensitive scraps you can find around the island.
    I scavenge very well, I was homeless many years ago but never had to beg, I was able to find a lot of unused items to sell and recycle. I'm sure various places, dumpsters etc, might have some pipe or scraps and you might need to buy a few items, but a lot you likely can get for free, ask around also.
    The worse they will say is no, sorry.

ANYTHING imported to islands cost a lot more $$$.
    If you have an old canister filter etc, anything can be used that will hold water.

4. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    I didnt think of going scavenging, but thats a nice idea, small pieces like this should be easy to find that way,

will do a journey on the spare time, asking around, maybe even on a lavatory store :)

Thanks Tom :)

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    You might have to piece thing together if the cost are a large factor, since many islands lack a lot of job opportunities as well, many just make due with whatever they can find.

I'd rather pay a mechanic to fix my transmission, even though I can do it myself. But I have the $, but when I was younger, I did not, so I went to the junk yard and got a used transmission and did that a few times.
    If you have the $, it's okay, if not, well, you gotta do it yourself. I still will not pay for boxes though and some other things.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    You might have to piece thing together if the cost are a large factor, since many islands lack a lot of job opportunities as well, many just make due with whatever they can find.

I'd rather pay a mechanic to fix my transmission, even though I can do it myself. But I have the $, but when I was younger, I did not, so I went to the junk yard and got a used transmission and did that a few times.
    If you have the $, it's okay, if not, well, you gotta do it yourself. I still will not pay for boxes though and some other things.

7. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    Im really not swimming on money, almost at the end of my job contract and times will get though,
    But i still prefer to buysomething i know i cant make,
    But i do like diy,
    My area of diy is mainly computer modding but hey, today i just installed my first water filter without flodding much of the kitchen \o/