This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Questions about Fluorite Black Sand

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Engel429, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Engel429

Engel429 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:54 PM
    Hey all,

Glad to be part of your online community.

I'm new to this type of site, as well as aquatic plant keeping.

I'm not sure whether I'm placing this in the right forum, but here it goes anyways. I've read many a thread about Fluorite Black Sand, but my itching questions have remained unanswered, namely:

1) Will this buffer my water/alter my water parameters? It seems that many companies claim their substrate doesn't, while their customers assert otherwise.

2) Does the fine granulation of this substrate stifle roots, or hinder plant growth in any other way?

3) Is it difficult to plant with this stuff? I've heard it is heavier, but it still seems that, since you are dealing with so many individual particles, it would be difficult to keep plants down.

4) Will I have to add more nutrients to this substrate than I would for Eco-Complete (the other substrate I'm considering)?

I like the idea of sand for burrowing Corys. My other options would be to use Eco-Complete or Fluorite Black with Tahitian Moon Sand over the top. What do the more experienced lot of you think?

I know these questions about substrate may get redundant, but I haven't seen these particular questions answered, despite my searching...

Thanks a ton everyone,

Joey E

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:54 PM
    Flourite does not alter the water parameters, other than being a high CEC product, it might temporarily change the KH. After a couple of water changes, it should have no effect on the water.

Flourite black sand grows plants very well, from my experience, and roots grow normally in it.

I found it very easy to plant in. The finer particles are helpful when planting very small plants.

Flourite and Eco Complete aren't much different as far as providing plant nutrients is concerned. Neither provides any significant nutrients, compared to ADA Aquasoil, for example.

There is no reason to top Flourite with any other substrate. You can do so to change the appearance of the substrate, but anything you put on top will soon be mixed into the Flourite, unless it has significantly bigger particle size.