a clients planted tank i did

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
hello all I just finished setting up an 80 gallon planted aquarium for a client in the local boston area. the tank is in a store called skipton pet center so if your ever around boston check the tank out. here are some pics taken about a week and i finished scaping the tank. they forced me to use all seachem substrates and fertilizers which i never use so it was a new challenge for me let me know what you think.

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

fauna: threadfin rainbowfish
flora:
anubias nana petite
micro sword
blyxa japonica
hyrophila kompact
limnophila athromatica
rotala indica
didplis diandra
lobelia cardinalis
pogostemon sellatus broad leaf

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
That is a beautiful display tank for a LFS, because it shows so many of the techniques that can go into such a tank, the variety of plants available, the use of the wood, planting on the wood, carpet plants, color variations in the plants, how "bushy" new plantings can be, and what kind of water circulation is good in such a tank. It also demonstrates that a suspended light arrangement can look very good.

I enjoy looking at LFS displays that educate, and this one does that very well.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Hopefully they will or Kyle will take care of it over time.
I've seen many tankjs only start out wonderful, to later fall into neglect.

These are long term projects and require long term work.
But it's nice to play with the LFS's stuff, money, available fish and set ups.

Nice scape.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
awwe shucks guys thanks for the comments. that pics about a week and a half old and most of the background plants have made it to the top of the tank now. and its overall looking just great. I got the wood from a competing LFS and brought it into skiptons lol.

Im still trying to teach the main fish guy how to fertilize correctly. he is extremely knowledgeable on fish but really has no clue when it comes to plants. the main problem is that he never remembers to fertilize and kinda blows me off when i tell him what to do. basically i am going there once a week and cleaning up a mess of neglect each time.

Tom pretty much called that aspect of the situation out. I really don't know what future this tank has since I'm moving to new york in less than two weeks because im transferring to the new school of jazz. so to be brutally honest I can see this tank going south when I move if the main fish guy doesn't lose his (I know everything about fish) attitude and just listen to what i have to say.

people (especially fish nerds) get threatened when they see a guy younger than them telling them what to do to keep a tank clean and algae free.

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
Gerryd;31483 said:
Very nice! Want to help me scape my 180? You get a chance to do it in sunny FL LOL.

haha well if you pay for plane tickets, lodging and food then yeah ill go.

its not worth it IMO you should really just get inspiration from others scapes and ideas and go from there. its really not that hard to recreate a setup, scape or certain ascetical aspects that you may enjoy about someone else's setups.

aquarium and music are very similar you'll never learn how to play music yourself if you hire someone else to play it for you. sometime you just gotta get your hands dirty and make mistakes that way once you to get a really good scape it is all that much more rewarding

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
jazzlvr123;31497 said:
the main problem is that he never remembers to fertilize and kinda blows me off when i tell him what to do. basically i am going there once a week and cleaning up a mess of neglect each time.

Welcome to wonderful world of aquarium maintenance.
Folks claim it must be nice etc, but it's a lot of headache, trying to out think the client's bad habits, you being blamed for their neglect and a host of other issues.
It's very rare they do what you tell them to do.
Even then, that rarely last long.

It has to be a goal of theirs, otherwise, it's not going to work.
It'll look nice when you set it up, they will think it's easy(Amano complains about this same stuff also, anyone that does work will also), then fire you or stop listening and think they know it all.

Tom pretty much called that aspect of the situation out. I really don't know what future this tank has since I'm moving to new york in less than two weeks because im transferring to the new school of jazz. so to be brutally honest I can see this tank going south when I move if the main fish guy doesn't lose his (I know everything about fish) attitude and just listen to what i have to say.

people (especially fish nerds) get threatened when they see a guy younger than them telling them what to do to keep a tank clean and algae free.

Haha, it is a good lesson for you However, as long as you get paid.
They hang themselves by their own rope.

Let me give any/everyone advice about clients: if they cannot pay right away or act cheap, do not take them on. No matter what. They will nickel and dime you. Get 50% upfront and 50% on the end. Standard stuff.

Some end up being great clients(1: 10 at best) for planted systems. On going ......even fewer, some you can coach a bit, but they will rarely take your advice.
Same for Weight loss coaches, coaches in general, students if you teach etc, but they, not you, pay the price.

Amano's largest tanks have gone terrible in most cases for these same reasons.
His at home are fine.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
jazzlvr123;31498 said:
haha well if you pay for plane tickets, lodging and food then yeah ill go.

its not worth it IMO you should really just get inspiration from others scapes and ideas and go from there. its really not that hard to recreate a setup, scape or certain ascetical aspects that you may enjoy about someone else's setups.

aquarium and music are very similar you'll never learn how to play music yourself if you hire someone else to play it for you. sometime you just gotta get your hands dirty and make mistakes that way once you to get a really good scape it is all that much more rewarding

Gerry, it takes practice, that's all.
You can copy this one, you can copy mine, you can copy any of the ADA winners, you can copy anything you like.

You should consider it.

Regrds,
Tom Barr

wilsar

Prolific Poster
Jan 10, 2009
maybe trying to setup everything, waterchanges,dosing and lights, to be automated is the way to go. once setup and working correctly, a weekly visit for "damage control" and trimming while tweaking the parameters for optimal steady growth is my two cents. but in my own limited experience it is never as easy as one,two and three.