Aquasoil - 4 bags
Tek 8 bulb t5ho
Lights :
2 ATI purple plus
3 ATI 6500k - not sure id have to take one out to see
AgroMax Pure Bloom - blood red
AgroMax Bloom 3000K
AgroMax Pure Par Veg - another purple bulb

The Tek fixture has two switches controlling 4 bulbs each.
3:00pm - CO2 on
4:00pm - 4 bulbs on, ph drop of around 1 - 1.2
5:00pm - 4 more bulbs on, CO2 peak, ph drop 1.3 - 1.5
10:00pm - CO2 off, 4 bulbs off
11:00pm - all lights off

The aquarium was custom made from Miracles out of Ontario Canada. Check out the dimensions of this overflow http://www.eshopps.com/products/overflowboxes/eclipse-m/ swapped out the bulkhead returns for threaded connections and using a gate valve for herbie style. I was going to use a reactor thinking it was required. It took me awhile to realize all I needed to do was feed the CO2 rite to the needle wheel. I learned in a Gerryd thread to drill a hole into the Rio 1000 near the input and put the CO2 tube in. From the Rio pump there is about 3 feet of tubing coiled and leading to the Return pump input. I have to get up close to the tank to see the CO2 bubbles in the aquarium. NO cleaning diffusers and dirty canister filters here :)
Ive been searching for red bulb and finally found AgroMax on ebay. I then googled and found HTG Supply hydroponics carries this brand which has a shop a few miles from me. I got three bulbs, a 4 foot 4 bulb fixture for my other setup that was using the Tek light, and a hanging kit. Also, they have 20lb CO2 tanks and do swap outs.

My other setup is a 25g rimless cube riparium using a Eheim 2217 and have had this setup for years. Its all Anubias attached to wood, moss and algae bottom, shrimps, assasin snails, and guppies. I can uses this as a source red cherries, any snail problems, and test subjects for the big rimless. Above the cube and on the side I have a bakers rack for my Coleus. I like to have about 25 coleus ready for outside spring planting. They are very easy to root and can grow fully rite out of the cube.

Maintenance

Weeks 1-3

one water change a week, establish fitler

Week 4

added some plants from Petco and CO2 rig

Week 5

fully planted, high ammonia still and lots of leaf litter so doing more water changes, threw in a baby guppy and three shrimp.

Week 6

Today, I added 3 AgroMax bulbs. The AgroMax Pure Bloom glows a sinister red and got put in the front. I was only using 5 bulbs until now. It doesnt seem much brighter just a better color. No rescaping for a few weeks.

I may have an issue with CO2. I emailed GLA but they dont respond ? I started the bubble counter 2/3 full with tap water, and a week later it was down to 1/3. there was water in the tube between bubble counter and check valve leading to the sump. No water in that tube now and the bubble counter is empty. I could remove the bubble counter but maybe should keep it just for the built in check valve. Im getting the same ph drop and can clearly see Co2 in the tank. Need advice on this.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

Last edited:

Kyalgae

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2016
Canada
I may have an issue with CO2. I emailed GLA but they dont respond ? I started the bubble counter 2/3 full with tap water, and a week later it was down to 1/3. there was water in the tube between bubble counter and check valve leading to the sump.

I have the same experience, the problem with the bubble counter on the manifold is that the solenoid gets warm, and this causes the water in the bubble counter to evaporate. It becomes a real hassle always having to fill it up, so I just use pH drop instead of looking at the bubble rate. I leave the thing empty. A better idea would be to setup a separate bubble counter away from the regulator with glycerine, that way you don’t have to constantly open it and refill. A weakness of the GLA regulators.

I should mention GLA says you can’t run glycerine in their manifold mounted bubble counters, that’s why I suggested you mount it further downstream from the regulator.

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
I have the same experience, the problem with the bubble counter on the manifold is that the solenoid gets warm, and this causes the water in the bubble counter to evaporate. It becomes a real hassle always having to fill it up, so I just use pH drop instead of looking at the bubble rate. I leave the thing empty. A better idea would be to setup a separate bubble counter away from the regulator with glycerine, that way you don’t have to constantly open it and refill. A weakness of the GLA regulators.

I should mention GLA says you can’t run glycerine in their manifold mounted bubble counters, that’s why I suggested you mount it further downstream from the regulator.

You could get yourself a flow meter. With a larger tank, it's a much better option.

Here's mine. If I was trying to count bubbles, it's really just a constant stream. This gives me much better control.
pHosting.php?do=show&type=f&id=99154&title=20151227_100706_Largec.jpg

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks fellas. I started with 4 or 5 bubbles per second and it was about a .6 drop in one hour, turned the knob a little each day until i had a 1.1 drop in one hour. It was just a stream at that point. I dont really need it so will just leave it empty. I can see the gas coming out of the return when im up close to the tank and just watch the ph monitor.

Update

The pictures were rite after the initial planting. I will get some up close pics tomorrow and a plant list. Most plants have perked up but there are some issues. It looks fuller already.

Decided to just run 4 bulbs using one switch. CO2 on for an hour then 4 lights on. I can compare different bulb arrangements though. Vacummed again today. The return belched out a bunch of crap rite after I turned power back on yesterday after water change. Its very clean now on the bottom and crystal clear water.

Pulled out 7 of the reddest red cherrys today from my cube tank and will do a few more every day. Ammonia is now in the lower ranges on the API test but ive done 3 water changes in the last 8 days. I want to add a bunch of Amano shrimps and ottos then later a schooling fish probably Cardinal tetras. They gave me the idea at the pet shop awhile back of doing cardinals with another still moving type of fish that stay together.

I want to let all the plants root and thrive for awhile before rearranging so just thinking about what I want to do as far as scaping.

Also, doing full EI dosing.

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Nice!

I also run my gla bubble counter empty because it evaporates so fast. The more co2 you pump the faster the water runs out.

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Also, doing full EI dosing.

Just be careful since you are using AS.

I didn't dose anything for almost 4 weeks.

No algae at all and still great growth.

Started dosing half EI levels when I did start dosing. I let the plants tell me when it was time to start feeding them more.

You mentioned you got your tank from Miracles? Are you located in the GTA? If so, which area?

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Hey,

Im in Taylor Michigan. Are you thinking about getting an aquarium from them ?

Update

Found a little hair algae today. It was a long green hair type. I used a toothbrush , upped CO2 a little, rearranged a few plants, then did a water change. It was on Kimberly and Hydrothrix gardneri. They were in real bad positions being crowded. Not really panicing. Will probably hold off on expensive plants though :D. Im having troubles getting pics from my phone to computer all of a sudden.

I have a spot for something like a Crinum calamistratum. I never see these anymore though. Also a foreground plant like Erio or Downoi.

- Thoughts on using sump

Glad i went with this. It is an Aqueon Proflex Model 4. If I had to do over I would probably do a custom made from Lifereef though. The bubble chambers broke of during shipment. It also had pvc attachments that I couldnt find correct connections using clear hosing. I wound up just running the overflow drain tubings strait through the holes to the first chamber. Cleaning is easy just swap out filter pads and water vaccum every so often. Third chamber just using a regular aquarium heater, Rio 1000 swapped out regular impleller with needle wheel. Danner Mag 950 with ball valve to control flow and thats it simple. I wanted it out in the open so had Miracles build me a metal stand. It matches the furniture in the Den. Id like to get some type of Float switch. Incase there is ever a bad clog in the overflow when we are not home the Float switch would shut off power to the return pump if water got too low in the sump.

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Hey Greggz, yea thats not too far at all. Are there any good pet shops close to you ? I know of Fantastic Fins in Livonia. Thats the only one I know where I can pick up Amano shrimps. Im gonna clean them out of these and Ottos. They breed a few types of dwarf shrimps there also. Also, do you think it is a bad idea this time of year to have plants and fish shipped ? Bartohog can include Thermal bags and heat packs. Im thinking of getting a hoard of those Amanos from http://msjinkzd.com/ I would choose the fastest shipping option.

20171212_204627.jpg

I need another package of plants for the front. I would take reccomondations on what to buy. Thinking of getting 7 AR mini, 7 Nelsonia canescens, and 5 Eriocaulon Parkeri.

There is an open space in the back right side. In front of the Ludwigia red is Alternanthera Reineckii that I got in a bag hanging at Petsmart. This is tissue cultured ? They were really small and have doubled in size. I could move them back there when they grow up. I got them looking neat now, been cutting bad leaves off of it. Im gonna pull out the Marsilea minuta.

20171212_204627.jpg

Last edited:

Greggz

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Hey Greggz, yea thats not too far at all. Are there any good pet shops close to you ? I know of Fantastic Fins in Livonia.
Yeah Fantastic Fins is a great shop. I've known Dale the owner for many years. He is a fish nut through and through. His old partner Chris has a shop in Farmington Hills, another very good shop. Neither one gets in a great selection of plants, but they are getting better.

It looks like you have quite a few plants already, but if you would ever like a nice package of trimmings, let me know. I do have Nelsonia canescens, and a bunch of others you might be interested in. I could meet you down in Livonia or drop some off at Fantastic Fins for you. PM me if interested.

Reactions: msb

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Update

Green hair algae was growing on almost everything but it is going away now as quick as it came. Now there is only a slight amount on two types of plants. I made a bunch of changes.

- Changed return flow to start over the back row of plants.

- Upped the flow abit, tried full blast but was like a hurricane, controlled with ball valve inline with return pump. This seemed to help with mechanical filtration. All that junk getting blasted out of the trees and moving around to the overflow.

- sprayed peroxide during a water change, about 20 pumps onto any exposed plants, it was bubble heaven in there after i filled aquarium

- I was vaccumming every other day until I changed flow. could not keep it clean, maybe plants were adjusting with leaves dying off, or just needed better flow.

- cleaned slime, gunk in sump

- upped co2 a smidge

- took out a bulb, now running a 6500k, a pink purplish bulb, a pure red bulb, so 3 bulbs

- I was not doing full EI before getting the algae. I had only dosed half EI two times in two weeks. Now full EI with what I read for 100-125 gallon aquarium.

- added some fauna

- 10 amanos
- 25 shrimps
- 20 ottos

I had 10 guppies in there but they just did not cope well with the C02 so i put them back in the cube. The ottos seemed bothered to. This was before I changed flow. It is now slightly pointing up to make the top more wavy. My ottos seem fine now and am nearing 1.5 peak ph drop.

I am having to rescue shrimps a few times a day from the sump. They go through the overflow too easily. I could use some type of screen over the overflow teeth but am worried that it would be easier to clog.

Lots of growth, already doing a bit of trimming, topping, replanting tops, etc. I have five types of plants on the way, just hoping they arrive in good shape in this cold weather. Ill take some pics after I get it planted/rearranged.

Thanks for reading,
Justin

Reactions: Nikolyator

Vickie

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Hey,

Update

Found a little hair algae today. It was a long green hair type. I used a toothbrush , upped CO2 a little, rearranged a few plants, then did a water change. It was on Kimberly and Hydrothrix gardneri. They were in real bad positions being crowded. Not really panicing. Will probably hold off on expensive plants though :D. Im having troubles getting pics from my phone to computer all of a sudden.

I have a spot for something like a Crinum calamistratum. I never see these anymore though. Also a foreground plant like Erio or Downoi.

- Thoughts on using sump

Glad i went with this. It is an Aqueon Proflex Model 4. If I had to do over I would probably do a custom made from Lifereef though. The bubble chambers broke of during shipment. It also had pvc attachments that I couldnt find correct connections using clear hosing. I wound up just running the overflow drain tubings strait through the holes to the first chamber. Cleaning is easy just swap out filter pads and water vaccum every so often. Third chamber just using a regular aquarium heater, Rio 1000 swapped out regular impleller with needle wheel. Danner Mag 950 with ball valve to control flow and thats it simple. I wanted it out in the open so had Miracles build me a metal stand. It matches the furniture in the Den. Id like to get some type of Float switch. Incase there is ever a bad clog in the overflow when we are not home the Float switch would shut off power to the return pump if water got too low in the sump.
Hey,

Update

- Thoughts on using sump

Hi! Love your tank! Sounds like you have a great set up! Have you tried the plant guy for a crinum? I got mine from him last year, he could probably order one for you, if not in stock. Theplantguy.org He's out of Winnipeg. I now order from Ska shrimp and nature out of Calgary, since he's closer to me.
My GLA does that too. I fill it almost every week!

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Hey Vickie, Thanks. I did find one on Aquabid. I took a picture of it, the Eshopps Eclipse M overflow, and the whole tank.
I apologize for phone pics, gonna upgrade phone to one with nicer camera soon.

Im still planning a better layout but thinking...

- need to split the reds up. I could move the Ludwigia Red to where the Ludwigia repens is then plant greens in between

- some plants are unattractive. giant hygros make the tank took small ? Ammannia gracilis leaves are not strait, Ludwigia Rubin is mixed up with Hydrothrix gardneri in the corner. I could move the Rubin to the right or run Ammannia back a bit.

- The short red plant in front of the Ludwigia red is Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis' I got from Petsmart. I want to keep it there and see how it looks as a mid-sized plant

- I have AR mini, Nelsonia canescens, Mermaid weed, and one Eriocaulon Parkeri being shipped to fill the rest of tank.

20171221_180943.jpg

20171221_175220.jpg

20171221_175256.jpg

Reactions: Greggz

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
My 5lb tank ran low a week ago and I had a little trouble dialing it back in. I tried to point the needle valve rite where it was but misjudged. I dialed it back then filled the bubble counter and started to where I couldnt count bubbles, slowly working up to where I had it and then some according to ph monitor. Also, added a little more surface ripple, another bulb (4 bulbs total for 8 hours). There is alot more plant mass to. The green algae I had before is all gone but now there is a little GSA present on at least 3 plants and the glass.

Added a few plants including an 8" rhizome of Anubias petite. The anubias might be 5 years old and was nasty with BBA that turned white after a bleach dip.

I am a newb aquascaper, cant decide a better arrangement of plants. Tommorrow Im going to trim, get the plants in better groupings. Will see what I come up with.

20171227_191438.jpg

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
In this setup with sparcity and no fish, you can keep upping the co2 all you want. Higher co2 the more range of plants you can grow.
I see good stuff here and bad.
As far as your stunting of some leaves goes, i don't think anyone knows why this happens...

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Added alot of fish and did have to back off the CO2 abit. I have 4 and 7 ph calibration solution so will get ph monitor calibrated for measurements soon.Total stock is

24 Serpae tetra
8 Platies
20 ottos
10 amanos
20 ? shrimps half are in the sump under bio balls

I made some changes to the layout but still not happy with the look.

- need create some depth (front to back) Tank looks cool from angles/above and having nice equipment but from my main viewing angles (Front tank shot) it looks like a 55 gallon.

- my wall behind the tank is red, I hung a black blanket on the wall and this made a huge difference. Gonna paint.

- My next rescape will try to use some "Dutch streets", "a pathway set at the viewing angle, which ascends toward the back of the tank, creating the illusion of depth".

Reactions: burr740

msb

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2013
Update

- layout

I like the new layout but have to use imagination for how it will eventually look. After rearranging and making room I added some steets of Lobelia cardinalis, split up Nelsonia cancecens in the middle, and Staro on the right side. As you can see in pics Im playiing with the idea of anubias on wood in the front or extending the carpet of Monte carlo. Also, tried a curtain effect of plants on the front sides. I think it works on the left but flow pushes hard on the right. I think the right side will look better if I just pull the pennywort and expand my Hygros more to the front which can handle current blast.

I want to expand Kimberly. I got it as 3 short stems but now it is 4 8-10" tall, one of them branched. Ludwigia Rubin is turning out to be nice and colorful even after moving it around like 3 times already. This area of the tank has alot of red grouped together but I want to let some of it grow up abit before messing with it. There is a crinum in between there and to the left of it a plant I need to identify which is growing and turning out to be nice that got as a freeby.

- maintenance

I did a thorough cleaning of the sump after about 2 months now I think of use. There were like 20 shrimp under the bioballs so I had to take everything out to get them and clean out all the dirt. I have a plan to put a guard on the overflow that gonna try if I want to keep dwarf shrimp in the tank.

I am still doing 2 water changes a week. Last one I waited 5 days but if replanting or having leaf litter, shrimp molts everywhere I feel that water needs to be changed.

EI dosing, simple, and I think my potted coleus are liking the EI water.

- plant ID

I have a plant If anyone reading knows what it is. Its the last pic one leaf per node, thin stem a few inches in front of the kimberly

20180107_180113.jpg

20180107_175358.jpg

20180107_175412.jpg
20180107_175428.jpg

burr740

Micros Spiller
Feb 16, 2015
Looking good!

Nelsonia canescens is actually Limnophila rugosa. After much debate over the last year or two among the experts, it was finally flowered and ID'd correctly. I meant to tell you this already :)

The plant you asked about I think is a Persicaria species, sao paulo if I had to guess but it may be another variety, hard to tell being young stems (if you got it from me its definitely sao paulo)